- Benjamin is one of our top winemakers, gaining credits all round with all our Angels. He's also a fabulously decent Frenchman. Even though we turned this down first time round, he still wanted his lovely Angels to enjoy it. We're so chuffed as it's an absolute blinder!
- It's a Syrah blend with a big dollop of Grenache that makes it a classically Southern French red - big ballsy, juicy berry fruits, with lots of gumption to back it up and a naughty, spicy finish.
- Think lamb, lamb and more lamb and then relish in the wonderful discount you get as an Angel.
- To get the best out of this wine, Ben recommends decanting it for 1-2 hours before drinking, add a Schott Zwiesel Decanter to your order and open up all the flavours whilst looking uber-impressive on your festive dinner table!
- Carmen is one of South Africa's finest wine makers, as one taste of her superb Shiraz - made especially for our Angels - quickly illustrates.
- South Africa may have come late to the Shiraz ball, but it's played catch up quickly, and now produces some of the best in the world. This one, with its dark, rich plum fruit punch and smokey oaky, peppery finish is a delicious example.
- Punchy, explosive and with all the weight of a dozen half-backs, the only way to improve this wine is to drink it with a bit of cow that has been briefly shown the grill. A meat-eater's idea of heaven in a glass.
- If David was on Mastermind, Lodi Chardonnay would be his specialist subject. He tastes fruit from over 8,000 acres of the stuff every single year.
- One of the oldest Chardonnay vineyards in the region was on the verge of being ripped up because it didn't produce as much fruit as surrounding plots. Angel funding helped David to rescued the vines and focus on quality over quantity.
- Ripe, rich, delicious and opulent, this is the most complex and classy Chardonnay you'll find at this price - and you don't have to feel guitly about drinking it on a weeknight!
- In our opinion this is one of Stephen's best blends, and the combination of Cab Sauv, Shiraz and Merlot is about as close to perfection from South Africa, at this price, that we reckon you'll get. It certainly had us excited, when we got the chance to buy a small parcel.
- Full-bodied, and brimming with plum and blackcurrant flavours, it's worth paying the extra pennies to give it a try.
- Wonderful with something simple and homely, like a Lancashire hot-pot, that allows the wine to shine.
- Mario Negreiros sells much of his grapes for port production - but he keeps the best back to make this stunning red.
- Think of a freshly picked black cherry - that's it with a little bit of black pepper and a hint of dark chocolate. All in all a moreish wine that keeps you coming back for one last sip.
- This wine is highly recommended with 'Beef Cozido à Portuguesa' which is a tasty, rich beef stew - or hot pot as we like to say in the good old fashioned UK.
WE'RE NOT SURE
Chile is Pinot Noir Paradise - hot days and cold nights, an ultra long growing season, a thick blanket of fog (nature’s air conditioning), and just the right amount of water.
Deep ruby red, this wine is packed full of strawberries, raspberries and delicate violet aromas. Enough to get anyone's mouth watering.
Connie recommends a delicious fish dish, baked with cheese ‘a la parmesana’ as the ultimate match for her Pinot. Sounds dreamy!
- Carmen is one of the rare winemakers who knows exactly how to coax the best out of South Africa's tricky Chenin Blanc.
- This has purity written all over it. Crisp clean, apple and white peach fruit flavours running alongside a lovely creamy, soft bite to the finish. Just delicious.
- The perfect partner for a lovely fresh piece of cod, or a plateful of creamy mussels.
- Together with your support and Bondholder funding, Katie is back - and better than ever with her spectacular Old Vine Syrah.
- You've got gorgeously ripe blackberries by the bucketload, whilst a tingle of spicy licquorice dances on your tastebuds. Even better, it's been lovingly aged for extra depth and decadence thanks to bondholder funding.
- If you're a patient sort, you can lay this down for up to 5 years. If you're like us... you'll be snapping up a bottle now and cracking it open with a big fat juicy steak.
- I'm on a quest to discover hidden pockets of unusual grapes and for Angels, soo I was really chuffed to find this undiscovered gem. Luckily, I know the grower well, so I managed to secure the fruit for a keen price too!
- The Barbera grape is traditionally from the Piedmont in Italy, but can absolutely flourish here in South Africa. The sunshine really packs it full of fruity intensity.
- My silky smooth, medium bodied Barbera is crimson red with vibrant aromas of ripe red cherry, dried strawberry and a ripple of milk chocolate. I hope you love it!
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.