Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit, a lovely lifted flavour and a smooth, rich finish.
- Virgile Joly is a minor genius with the Merlot grape, and he's come up trumps with this little number...
- In the mouth it's a fruit bomb of juicy red cherries and berries and, once the initial explosion settles, you are left with just a touch of wood smoke. Bloomin' lovely!
- A hunk of red meat, lots of roast potatoes, a smidge of veg (to keep mum happy) and a case of this. That's Sunday sorted.
- If you like the lovely mix of ripe black cherry and bitter red cherry fruit that often typifies Merlot - then you're going to love this full-bodied, ever so slightly butch take on the grape variety.
- Rich, chocolatey and full of punchiness, it leaves you wanting mouthful after mouthful - which is not bad considering it's punching well above its weight in the value/quality stakes.
- Patricio is one of our most highly rated winemakers. You simply can't get enough of him. Which is why we now stock his Reserve collection.
For years, Kobie and Faisal farmed this premium patch of Merlot on behalf of top Cape wine producers. But it always pained them to see the fruits of their labour disappear into other people’s blends. So in 2020, they decided to keep the grapes and make a wine themselves. After trying this super-sophisticated red for yourself, you’ll see why the fruit was in such high demand.
This is a distinctly old-world Merlot, a bit of a French style red. It’s dark ruby in colour, the hue of ripe black cherries, with pure fruit aromas of mulberry and blueberry, with a hint of red cherry and spice. On the palate it’s all crushed raspberries and strawberry jam, with a soft creamy texture and classy finish.
Made during the height of lockdown, Angels have proved a real lifeline to Kobie, Willie and their entire winemaking community. As strict barriers on the SA wine trade have hit their bottom line. Thankfully, we’ve been able to give them our backing on new wine projects like this, giving them the confidence and security to keep making wines their way.
When a rookie winemaking couple abandoned their London lifestyle to take over the 18th-century Chateau Puynard - with its 7-generation winemaking history - they knew they had a lot to live up to. But since taking over in 2016, via a steep learning curve and a lot of hard graft, they’ve upheld the Chateau’s legacy and are making super-high-quality Bordeaux wines like this, that even won a gold medal from the International Wine Challenge.
This is a classic Bordeaux red, made using 100% juicy Merlot from a mix of vines up to 35-years of age. These older vines have roots that stretch deep into the clay and limestone soils, soaking up long-lost vitamins and nutrients that produce dark grapes with ripe tannins, perfect for making the type of complex, well-structured red wines this region is famous for.
Even better, since taking over the chateau, this fast-learning winemaker pair have introduced a raft of new eco-friendly practices in the vineyard, to keep the land (and their grapes) as healthy and natural as possible. It’s a brilliant tale of tradition meeting the future, and it means you get to enjoy this delicious Bordeaux wine with a green conscience. C'est magnifique!
- Our terroir here in Bulgaria is known for, and well suited for classic varieties such as Merlot. This variety is very popular in all the wine regions in Bulgaria, hopefully one taste and you’ll see why.
- Naked Wines is using the most powerful tools – innovations and internet. Investing in winemakers and giving the opportunity for direct interaction between the customers and the winemakers is a revolution and fair game for each party – this win-win philosophy is very attractive to us.
- The aroma is dominated by specific fruity (cherry, raspberry, blueberry) notes. The nose is intense, complex, and hopefully will appeal to all Angels.
Angel Angelov, Winemaker
- Connie has an eye for quality grapes and when she discovered these beauties nestled in the Maule Valley, she knew she was on to a winner.
- From 35 year old vines, these grapes get oodles of sunshine and crisp cool nights keeping the wine fresh but packed full of soft and juicy blackberries, cherries with a dash of smooth, silky chocolate.
- Connie only uses the best French oak for this wine and you can taste the spicy, complexity. The perfect wine to crack open with your friends and family.
- We’ve made $5 million available to help struggling wineries to survive and come out the other side of this Covid crisis. The closure of bars and restaurants across the globe has been a disaster for the independent winemakers who supply them. The little guys, without connections to the big supermarkets, are the ones who are suffering the most.
- When Covid hit, South Africa’s strict lockdown dealt a huge blow to his small family winery. They previously sold 90% of their wine to restaurants and bars around the world - so the sudden global closures hit them hard. Reenen turned to us, and in one single order we rescued half of his winery’s annual production. It's been a total game changer for Reenen’s small business.
- A complex, deep ruby red Merlot with gorgeous cherry and wild berry flavours and a long, velvety finish. Reenen likes to drink it with good friends over a roast chicken dinner. Simple, but delicious.
Charles and Ruth love Merlot and they love a good Merlot even more. And this is just that. They took these hand selected top notch Merlot grapes from their sun drenched vineyards in Saint Rose and made another corking wine.
All that Southern French sunshine is what Merlot needs to make this stunningly full bodied, velvety drop just bursting with plummy fruit with a touch of chocolate.
This rich and fruity red is just right with any mediterranean-style food from antipasti to ratatouille with every shade of pasta in between.