Your Winemaker of the Decade
- From humble roots, Carmen blazed a trail, to become head winemaker at a prestigious winery in South Africa. Her wines won medals by the truckload, yet she couldn’t even get a bank overdraft to start her own business.
- That was until Angel funding allowed her to finally fulfil her dream of setting up her own winery. Carmen has gone from strength to strength ever since, winning countless awards (including being voted your Winemaker of the Decade!)
- With your support, coupled with her sheer passion and determination, Carmen is helping to create a better future for South African children. Over the past 4 years, she’s raised over half a million pounds to feed hungry school children in the slums just 30 minutes from beautiful Stellenbosch.
Map of the Vineyard
Carmen Stevens's Story
"I qualified in 1995 from Elsenberg College in South Africa. I started my winemaking career with Stellenbosch Farmer’s Winery. At the end of the year 2000 I was appointed wine maker within the Stellenbosch Vineyards group, as site wine maker for the Welmoed premises.
In 2005 I was appointed wine maker for Amani Vineyards. It was a great moment for me to work for such a prestigious winery. Now to be given the chance to work on my own wines is even greater!
Every vintage comes with its own challenges, and as wine maker you need to adapt and make informed decisions to complement what nature has given you.That is the joy of wine making. Tasting wines from other wine makers in different countries is another pleasure and a means of communication between wine makers, I believe.
The individual attention to each vineyard block as well as the hand picking of all grapes, according to the taste and flavour profile that the berries displays. Then; all red grapes are not only bunch but berry sorted to ensure only the most enticing berries end up in ferment.
The white varietals are also hand picked into 16kg light box loads and bunch sorted under strict protective condition to preserve what was achieved in the vineyard. The attention to detail for each practise performed in the cellar is immense.
Finally, there is an individual evaluation and selection of each barrel to create the final blends, which makes Amani customers loyal followers. I hope to continue this legacy of great wines with my own project too!
I have been very proud to win some great awards along the way as well… without wanting to brag too much, here are some of the highlights!
- Decanter Wine Award 2010 – Gold Award for Amani Chardonnay 2008
- Finalist in Woman Wine maker of the Year 2009 (South Africa)
- Decanter Wine Award 2008: – Regional Trophy Award and International Trophy for Amani Cabernet Franc/Merlot 2006
- Classic Wine Trophy Show (South Africa): - Diamond Award for Amani Chardonnay 2006
I really hope you like the wines I have made...and will love the wines I am working on too.
I cannot wait to get Angel feedback. Please write to me and let me know what you think…
Archangels are our most interactive customers. They know our wines inside out and help us discover new wines for the site!