- This wine has a very unusual story, I was up in the mountains in Wellington, looking for more Old Vine Chenin Blanc vineyards, when I stumbled upon this Old Vineyard…
- After asking the farmer about it, he said that they did not even harvest the grapes the previous year and that it is ‘Tinta Barocca’, nobody wants to buy. I gave Eamon a call to see if we could help...
- Angel funding enabled me to pay the farmer a good price for the grapes, which in turn made him take extra special care of the vines and the resulting wine has amazing length, complexity and concentration! As it’s a small vineyard, volumes are limited so please buy some while you can.
- Johan Kruger, Winemaker
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- Back Door wines are top-notch wines sold off by prestigious wineries for rock-bottom prices in exchange for complete secrecy. So we can’t tell you which vineyard this is from, but we can tell you it sits on some of the most prestigious (and expensive) terroir in South Africa - nestled right between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
- Your reigning Winemaker of the Year, Johan Kruger, drives past the vineyard every day, and let’s just say he has friends in high places. He managed to convince a mate there to let him have a few bottles of this premium wine for a knock down price, so he could pass it on to Angels.
- The vineyard is famous for producing world class reds and this one is no different - rich, bright with a delightful freshness and a finish that goes on and on. It’s pure pleasure in a bottle and we can’t thank Johan enough.
- When Johan Kruger tipped us off about a one-off, super-premium Cabernet Sauvignon from one of the classiest vineyards in South Africa, that was going for a ludicrous price, we couldn’t turn it down.
- Claret in colour. Claret in nature. It’s been aged to perfection over the past 5 years in the poshest French oak to give a rich and refined finish. This special wine can stand up to the big boys of Burgundy, and, with top winemaker Johan’s seal of approval behind it, you can be sure the quality is sky high.
- It’s hard to believe stuff this good is still kicking around, but these bottles have been sitting in a cellar since 2014. Just don’t ask us which one - we’re sworn to secrecy!
- Angel funding has played a tremendous role in this wine. I was able to source top-end fruit from the best terroirs, slopes and growers.
- This enabled me to cast my sourcing net wide over the vineyard sites and regions of Durbanville and Stellenbosch - resulting in more complex, multidimensional wines for the Angels.
- The result is a Shiraz that stands out from the more traditional styles of Shiraz in South Africa. It shows the best of both regions without overpowering each other. A Shiraz style that is both prominent yet elegant.
- Johan knew just where to go to find best grapes to make his Cab Sav and headed straight to the rolling vineyards of Stellenbosch.
- Elegant, powerful and packed full of dark fruit flavours - this is one red that’s born to age so if you can resist the urge to open it, then squirrel it away safely for a few years and let the magic unfold.
- Cab Sav grapes from Stellenbosch are seen as the Rolls Royce of the South African wine industry; they are hard to come by and the barrels used to get that sumptuous oakiness are expensive. It’s all thanks to Angel funding that Johan was able to secure such great juice and the necessary barrels so consider this a big thank you from him to you!
Only the very best grapes made it from the vineyards to Carmen’s super swish winery in the heart of Stellenbosch. All of them were hand-picked with care so you can be sure of top-notch quality with this stunning Cab Sauv.
Deep violet in colour, it’s an absolute powerhouse of a red. Rich, elegant, bursting with black fruits as well as hints of cassis, vanilla and a smidge of menthol for a refreshing burst at the end.
Angels voted in their hundreds for this wine in our 2017 Crush competition, so she wanted to make sure it over delivered in every way possible. It’s her way of saying a great big thank you for all your support. Safe to say she has done just that!
- Stephen was the first winemaker to work with us and boy is he proof that the system works. Angels up-and-down the UK have a stash of his crowd-pleasing Shiraz on the rack at all times.
- This is a perfect example of a big South African red - full of flavour, smooth as silk and with a little lick of spice to round things off. It's a big wine for a small price.
- Open the bottle, show a frying pan a steak, briefly, then combine in mouth. Boom!