- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- Back Door wines are top-notch wines sold off by prestigious wineries for rock-bottom prices in exchange for complete secrecy. So we can’t tell you which vineyard this is from, but we can tell you it sits on some of the most prestigious (and expensive) terroir in South Africa - nestled right between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
- Your reigning Winemaker of the Year, Johan Kruger, drives past the vineyard every day, and let’s just say he has friends in high places. He managed to convince a mate there to let him have a few bottles of this premium wine for a knock down price, so he could pass it on to Angels.
- The vineyard is famous for producing world class reds and this one is no different - rich, bright with a delightful freshness and a finish that goes on and on. It’s pure pleasure in a bottle and we can’t thank Johan enough.
- Addictively delicious and a prime example of what Cabernet is all about with lots of juicy loosey cassis flavours ganging up with a lovely milk chocolate hit. All in all, scrummy.
- The grapes used to make this wine were bought with Angel money - which means you get it cheap as chips.
- This tummy warming red is sure to be a hit with Angels, and there isn't much of it...so get cracking, and don't forget to pick up a lamb biryani on your way whilst you're at it.
- When Johan Kruger tipped us off about a one-off, super-premium Cabernet Sauvignon from one of the classiest vineyards in South Africa, that was going for a ludicrous price, we couldn’t turn it down.
- Claret in colour. Claret in nature. It’s been aged to perfection over the past 5 years in the poshest French oak to give a rich and refined finish. This special wine can stand up to the big boys of Burgundy, and, with top winemaker Johan’s seal of approval behind it, you can be sure the quality is sky high.
- It’s hard to believe stuff this good is still kicking around, but these bottles have been sitting in a cellar since 2014. Just don’t ask us which one - we’re sworn to secrecy!
- Angel funding has played a tremendous role in this wine. I was able to source top-end fruit from the best terroirs, slopes and growers.
- This enabled me to cast my sourcing net wide over the vineyard sites and regions of Durbanville and Stellenbosch - resulting in more complex, multidimensional wines for the Angels.
- The result is a Shiraz that stands out from the more traditional styles of Shiraz in South Africa. It shows the best of both regions without overpowering each other. A Shiraz style that is both prominent yet elegant.
Only the very best grapes made it from the vineyards to Carmen’s super swish winery in the heart of Stellenbosch. All of them were hand-picked with care so you can be sure of top-notch quality with this stunning Cab Sauv.
Deep violet in colour, it’s an absolute powerhouse of a red. Rich, elegant, bursting with black fruits as well as hints of cassis, vanilla and a smidge of menthol for a refreshing burst at the end.
Angels voted in their hundreds for this wine in our 2017 Crush competition, so she wanted to make sure it over delivered in every way possible. It’s her way of saying a great big thank you for all your support. Safe to say she has done just that!
- This is it. Our best-selling red wine of all time... 93% of the 45,000 odd Angels that have tasted it would happily buy it again.
- Think pure, unadulterated blackcurrants, mixed in with a judicious chunk of oak, with a streak of Bertie Basset running naked through it.
- It's an absolute cracker. And because your Angel funding supports Stephen, you get it for a frankly silly price!
- Think of Lionel Richie, circa mid-eighties, all decked out in his best plum velvet suit, then add a bit of Barry White on top, and you BEGIN to get close to how smooth and enticing this red is.
- Your first sensation is one of deep rich blueberry that gives way to a mixture of plum and damson, edged with a smokey streak of oak - all of which lasts an age with each mouthful. It's difficult to be too in love with this wine.
- Open the bottle, show a frying pan a steak, briefly, then combine in mouth. Boom!