Rioja’s one of the most loved wine regions on the planet. And with good reason. They don’t allow any old wine to be called Rioja. It has to meet some of the strictest wine quality rules in the world.
Luckily, Rodolfo is our man on the ground in Rioja, where he's known to save his best grapes for Angels. He says his Gran Seleccion is "about the best selection that we do coming from our very best grapes" - lucky us!
Oak aged for 10 months, it's full of flavour, elegance and silky smoothness. Our advice? Grab the cheese board, a glass and settle down for the evening.
A Rioja of this quality would usually have a massive price tag, but thanks to Angel funding you get it at mates rates.
A Crianza is a Rioja aged for at least two years (at least one of which was in oak). This process gives the wine a silky, classy character which combined with a shot of pure crushed strawberry fruit delivers in spades.
This wine is a match made in heaven for a delicious leg of roast lamb or a smoky paprika-filled goulash.
- Rodolfo's great love in life is making Rioja for his Angels. Your funding helped him to nab some pristine grapes from the super-premium Alta region to make a seriously smooth Rioja.
- His cracking Crianza is aged in oak for 14 months to create a ravishingly rich drop with an elegant, silky finish. It's dripping with opulence and punches waaay above its price tag.
- A wine that looks and tastes this good should cost you a pretty penny. Luckily for you, this is a steal at the price. Grab yourself some affordable decadence while you can.
- Rodolfo is a wonderful winemaker - yep, he has talent coming out of his ears, but he's also a very good listener. This wine is the delicious culmination of your funding, your comments and Rodolfo's know-how - and between you, you've done a fantastic job.
- Every mouthful is brimming with fresh, ripe dark fruits and hints of savoury warming black pepper. Rodolfo has let this wine rest for the optimum time in oak barrels to give it a gorgeously creamy finish - with just a dash of caramel and cedar wood for that extra 'WOW'.
- This wine is complex enough to lay down and enjoy in 10 years' time. But honestly? When a bottle like this adorns your wine rack, you'll be tempted to just get stuck in.
WE'RE NOT SURE
Let the ratings speak for themselves. The Hacienda range is easily the most popular Rioja we stock!
Rodolfo is dripping in medals and awards for his wine skills and he makes sure to save all of his best stuff for Angels.
His Winemaker's Choice Rioja is bursting with bright strawberry flavours with a slightly spicy finish - a classic Rioja. Soft, smooth and mellow, and unbeatable value for money.
- Having already made an everyday Tinto and Blanco, there was a wine, which was clearly missing, an everyday rosé. This is the kind of rosé I like, light and crisp with an elegant perfume of fresh berries over subtle floral notes.
- I made this wine from selected, estate-grown Tempranillo grapes, allowing the juice only a short contact time with the skins. The result is a delicate and versatile wine, ideal as an aperitif or with a big plate of pasta.
- Naked Wines Angels are supporting me through funding and enjoying my wines. I could not make any wines without people wanting to buy it. This allows me being honest as a winemaker, creating fresh, pure wines, reflecting a sense of place, which is the hallmark of my winemaking.
- This is quite possibly the tastiest Rioja you'll ever find. Why? Because Carlos is in the unique position of being able to buy the best grapes the region has to offer.
- What you probably don't know is, to make Rioja Reserva only the very last squeeze of juice is used. The result is 100% flavour.
- Rich, smooth and creamy. Drinking this is like putting on a set of silk pyjamas.
- We're not allowed to tell you the name of the super-famous Spanish region this wine comes from, but if you took a guess, you'd probably be right.
- Spain's best wine regions limit how much wine each vineyard produces (this means vines are selected for quality, not quantity). When there's a bumper crop any extra grapes are declassified and sold at a snip of the price.
- Using Angel funding, Carlos managed to find a premium parcel of Tempranillo for a steal, which makes this wine the ultimate bargain.
- Carlos is a bit of a genius when it comes to making wine taste delicious and this one is no exception.
- This is classic Rioja. Smooth, creamy strawberry fruits, with a little touch of raspberry underneath, all wrapped up in a cloak of vanilla oak that makes the mouth quiver with anticipation. Stunning stuff.
- You don't get many Riojas at this kind of quality under a tenner. And when you do, you snap them up, just as we did
- Rodolfo puts a lot of effort into his winemaking, especially his Gran Reservas. These are effectively his crown jewels, and he protects, nurtures and lavishes them with love.
- In Rioja, they don’t allow any old wine to be called Gran Reserva. Some of the strictest wine rules in the world ensure its consistent quality. Only a select list of grapes can go into it. The grapes have to be high quality, and the wine aged for a minimum period to earn the Gran Reserva classification.
- Rodolfo's top drop has been aged in wood for years, you know it the moment you smell its smoky vanilla nose. But when the wine hits your tongue it's all about the powerful, black cherry and raspberry fruits and the long lingering finish.