- When Ben came to us with a crackpot idea of using a method unique to Italian winemaking on a bunch of Grenache, Syrah and Carignan grapes grown up a hill in the Pyrenees — we had a mild panic.
- Repasse is the technique of passing an already mature vintage over the crushed grape skins left over from a new harvest to give it even more power and flavour.
- It sounds bonkers, but we shouldn’t have worried. Ben has taken this Languedoc red to a whole new level - it's minblowingly dark and delicious.
- Paolo is the King of Prosecco and even though our Italian is rusty, we know what "Superiore" means!
- This is the really top shelf fizz that usually doesn't even leave the country, but you can get your hands on it thanks to our special relationship with Paolo.
- Full of crisp apples, fresh pear and zippy citrus, bubbles this tasty don't even require a special occasion. Stick this in the fridge and pop a bottle just because the sun is shining.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- This is the seventh vintage Bill and Claudia Small have crafted exclusively for Angels and it's an absolute cracker.
- We asked them one simple thing. Make us the best Sauvignon Blanc in Marlborough and we reckon they came pretty close - at least for the price you pay, and what's more, 94% of people who've bought it agree.
- It is classic New World SB. Delicious, ripe, grassy fruit, all gooseberry and kiwi, with an edge of lime, and is packed with enough zing to keep your mouth tingling for hours on end.
- Benjamin is one of our top winemakers, gaining credits all round with all our Angels. He's also a fabulously decent Frenchman. Even though we turned this down first time round, he still wanted his lovely Angels to enjoy it. We're so chuffed as it's an absolute blinder!
- It's a Syrah blend with a big dollop of Grenache that makes it a classically Southern French red - big ballsy, juicy berry fruits, with lots of gumption to back it up and a naughty, spicy finish.
- Think lamb, lamb and more lamb and then relish in the wonderful discount you get as an Angel.
- To get the best out of this wine, Ben recommends decanting it for 1-2 hours before drinking, add a Schott Zwiesel Decanter to your order and open up all the flavours whilst looking uber-impressive on your festive dinner table!
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Bill and Claudia used your Angel pennies to get their hands on the grapes from some of the very best Sauvignon vineyards in New Zealand... to make a wine that will please even the pickiest of Sauvignon lovers.
- From the first sip, it's an explosion of luscious Marlborough fruit flavour. Fresh grapefruit, zingy gooseberries and juicy, mouth watering pear drops all fuse together to make an exceptional tropical tipple.
- Named after their daughter Sylvia - Sauvignon doesn't get more special than this. Previous vintages won medals galore, and we think that this one is even better... all thanks to Angel funding!
- You rescued Jean-Pascal's business - and what better way can he thank you by picking the finest grapes, and blending them into this bold and beautiful top-shelf Cabernet.
- Powerful, lavish and oaky, the first thing to sock you in the gums is an explosion of rich blackcurrants and berries with a satisfyingly smooth silky finish – if only they made Bordeaux this good. Ooooh.
- It's been sitting in obscenely expensive barrels in JP's cellar long enough. Now it's begging to be drunk. JP recommends decanting it for 2 hours before drinking (add a Schott Zwiesel Decanter to your order if you want your dinner table to look ultra fancy!)
- If David was on Mastermind, Lodi Chardonnay would be his specialist subject. He tastes fruit from over 8,000 acres of the stuff every single year.
- One of the oldest Chardonnay vineyards in the region was on the verge of being ripped up because it didn't produce as much fruit as surrounding plots. Angel funding helped David to rescued the vines and focus on quality over quantity.
- Ripe, rich, delicious and opulent, this is the most complex and classy Chardonnay you'll find at this price - and you don't have to feel guitly about drinking it on a weeknight!
- Who'da thought it... a big dollop of gutsy Shiraz can be brought to life by a tiny smidgeon of peachy pure Viognier.
- Big, rich, ripe bramble and damson fruit with lashings of oak are given a soft, silky finish by the addition of the Viognier with its hint of white peach acting as the perfect foil to the peppery undertones.
- Angel funding bought the grapes, so it's incredible quality for a very reasonable price... no wonder 91% of you would happily buy it again!
- In our opinion this is one of Stephen's best blends, and the combination of Cab Sauv, Shiraz and Merlot is about as close to perfection from South Africa, at this price, that we reckon you'll get. It certainly had us excited, when we got the chance to buy a small parcel.
- Full-bodied, and brimming with plum and blackcurrant flavours, it's worth paying the extra pennies to give it a try.
- Wonderful with something simple and homely, like a Lancashire hot-pot, that allows the wine to shine.
- In Rioja we have really good conditions for white wines, even if we’ve always been recognized for our reds!
- We had a strike of luck in the region around 25 years ago with the appearance of a new grape variety called Tempranillo Blanco. From one shoot 25 years ago, now we have around 500 hectares in Rioja, and the possibility to enjoy a delicious new grape variety.
- It’s a fresh and crispy white wine with pear and apple and a rounded mouth feeling with a great balance. It’s an opportunity for Angels to try something really different and exclusive.