New around here?
Take our 2 minute quiz and get £30 of free wine, valid on your first order. Choose your own wines or snap up a handpicked case.
- My vineyards are from one of the richest and most beautiful parts of Portugal, due to the diversity of the grape varieties, types of soil and the unique climate - with gently sloping hills and the cooling breeze from the nearby Atlantic both key to producing quality grapes.
- I sampled the wine from over 300 of my best barrels before choosing the top 10 to create my 10 Barricas. This is a wine that has been made specifically for the Angels, to add a wine with more complexity and structure to the rest of my range.
- My 10 Barricas is a dark ruby colour and deliciously rich and smooth. It has intense dark and red berry flavours, with spices and oak from ageing in American, French and Portuguese barriques, and a lovely complex structure.
Tao Platon is a man on a mission to save many of Rioja Alavesa’s unique vineyards from being sold off, and he’s doing it by championing the authentic, high quality wines the region is famous for. The cooler climes, older vines and limestone soils in this most northerly part of Rioja produce fresh, gastronomic, age-worthy reds of fine wine quality like this Tempranillo.
The nose is so fine, showing fresh and complex berry aromas, herbal notes, hints of cedar and vanilla. A beautiful oakiness has integrated with the fruit to become its own thing. The palate is fresh, pure and satisfyingly dry, with great fruit intensity, a supple mouthfeel, chalky tannins and an elegant mineral finish. This isn’t your everyday Rioja, this is a fine wine.
- We’re really excited to have Tao on board, taking our Rioja range into world-class territory. He’s made wines all round the world, never stops learning, and he’s brought all that knowledge and experience back home to Spain where, as he says, “I want Angels to experience the beautifully elegant, fresh wines that can be made from the best old vineyards of Rioja Alavesa.”
- There's a small boutique winery in the back streets of Mendoza that’s gained a reputation for some of the most elegant, high-quality Malbecs in Argentina. As luck would have it, the owner happens to be our very own Marcelo Bocardo. It's also where he makes this top-notch Malbec. No wonder it's a medal-winner...
- Angels go wild for Marcelo's Malbec every time it hits the shelves. So he thought he'd help his Angels out by making you a 2.25L box wine of his bestselling red. This way you can stock up in one fell swoop - in this box you have 3 bottles worth of the good stuff. Now you can spend more time enjoying it and less time thinking about when you'll next be able to get your hands on it.
- It has heaps of charm, flavour and intensity. It has the volume, the purity of taste, the smoothness and elegance many other Malbecs just don’t have. Every mouthful is bursting with bright fruit and massive appeal. It's made with quality, quality grapes.
Cool nights on the slopes of Monte Agudo in southern Rioja meant Tom’s grapes could ripen nice and slowly to help bring about this fruity, juicy delight.
- It’s not only Tempranillo that has gone into his Flor de Luna though. Tom added in a smidge of Grenache to amp up the fruitiness (think red berries and fresh raspberries) as well as a drop of Viura for that elegant dash of pears and nectarines.
- If you like your Beaujolais reds and wines from the southern Rhone then pop this in your basket quick smart… it’s your chance to taste a traditional Rioja blend, made the traditional Rioja way.
- When Ben came to us with a crackpot idea of using a method unique to Italian winemaking on a bunch of Grenache, Syrah and Carignan grapes grown up a hill in the Pyrenees — we had a mild panic.
- Repasse is the technique of passing an already mature vintage over the crushed grape skins left over from a new harvest to give it even more power and flavour.
- It sounds bonkers, but we shouldn’t have worried. Ben has taken this Languedoc red to a whole new level - it's mindblowingly dark and delicious.
- Malbec is what Argentina does best (that and beef). With that extra added 'reserve' you get better grapes, and more ageing. All round, an even better wine.
- If you plan on sticking a bit of beef anywhere near an open flame in the near future, I'd suggest you get some of this in.
- Oh, and save it for your more private parties. This is too good to share with the neighbours.
- Rodolfo is a wonderful winemaker - yep, he has talent coming out of his ears, but he's also a very good listener. This wine is the delicious culmination of your funding, your comments and Rodolfo's know-how - and between you, you've done a fantastic job.
- Every mouthful is brimming with fresh, ripe dark fruits and hints of savoury warming black pepper. Rodolfo has let this wine rest for the optimum time in oak barrels to give it a gorgeously creamy finish - with just a dash of caramel and cedar wood for that extra 'WOW'.
- This wine is complex enough to lay down and enjoy in 10 years' time. But honestly? When a bottle like this adorns your wine rack, you'll be tempted to just get stuck in.
- Virgile Joly is a minor genius with the Merlot grape, and he's come up trumps with this little number...
- In the mouth it's a fruit bomb of juicy red cherries and berries and, once the initial explosion settles, you are left with just a touch of wood smoke. Bloomin' lovely!
- A hunk of red meat, lots of roast potatoes, a smidge of veg (to keep mum happy) and a case of this. That's Sunday sorted.
- Rodolfo's great love in life is making Rioja for his Angels. Your funding helped him to nab some pristine grapes from the super-premium Alta region to make a seriously smooth Rioja.
- His cracking Crianza is aged in oak for 14 months to create a ravishingly rich drop with an elegant, silky finish. It's dripping with opulence and punches waaay above its price tag.
- A wine that looks and tastes this good should cost you a pretty penny. Luckily for you, this is a steal at the price. Grab yourself some affordable decadence while you can.
Let the ratings speak for themselves. The Hacienda range is easily the most popular Rioja we stock!
Rodolfo is dripping in medals and awards for his wine skills and he makes sure to save all of his best stuff for Angels.
His Winemaker's Choice Rioja is bursting with bright strawberry flavours with a slightly spicy finish - a classic Rioja. Soft, smooth and mellow, and unbeatable value for money.