New around here?
Take our 2 minute quiz and get £30 of free wine, valid on your first order. Choose your own wines or snap up a handpicked case.
- Who'da thought it... a big dollop of gutsy Shiraz can be brought to life by a tiny smidgeon of peachy pure Viognier.
- Big, rich, ripe bramble and damson fruit with lashings of oak are given a soft, silky finish by the addition of the Viognier with its hint of white peach acting as the perfect foil to the peppery undertones.
- Angel funding bought the grapes, so it's incredible quality for a very reasonable price... no wonder so many of you would happily buy it again!
Cerina is a super talented winemaker who knows a secret that few SA winemakers are yet to catch on to. Whilst working out in the West Coast bushland of South Africa, she discovered a handful of old bush vines - sitting at a dizzying 400m altitude with cool Atlantic breezes, these vines were built to make premium quality wines. Fact.
This luxurious and tummy-warming red is a prime example of what makes South African Syrah so darn good. It’s a rich feast of blueberries and deep blackberry flavours with a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg to bring it all together.
It’s already super-delicious and ready-to-enjoy right now but give it a couple of years and those flavours will just multiply. A dreamy Syrah like this cries out for a special slap-up meal so our tip is to save it for your next birthday or anniversary, then pour yourself a glass and enjoy with a juicy steak in peppercorn sauce and a side of chunky chips. Yummy.
- I have always wanted to make an all-inclusive, five varietal Bordeaux Blend, but never had the access to all five varieties - that is until this year! I stumbled upon a few gems in some special vineyards, and I could not resist the challenge to make this wine.
- This wine was born as an idea and only made a reality by the funds raised by the Angels. Thank you Naked Wines and Angels for making this amazing wine possible.
- On the nose there are black berries, black cherry pie filling, cedar and some mild coffee notes. The palate is packed with layered fruit, oak complexities evolving to a finely grained tannin and juicy fruity finish.
Reenen Borman is one of the rising stars of the South Africa wine scene. He made the highest rated South African red wine ever scored by Tim Atkin, who called him “one of the most talented young winemakers in the world” - high praise from one of the UK’s leading wine boffins.
Reenen uses 30-35 year old vines to make his dense, dark, classic Cab Sav. Grown near Cape Town’s iconic False Bay, which frames some of the country’s most prestigious vineyards with cool coastal breeze sweeping off the Atlantic Ocean - it's no surprise that this ripe, melt-in-the-mouth Cab Sav is such a gem.
Deliciously complex Christmas cake flavours mingle on your tongue. It’ll age for up to 8 years. Great with a nice steak.
- I often ride my mountain bike across our neighbour’s farm, and one vineyard has always intrigued me. After some investigation I learned that it was Pinotage. Pinotage isn’t my favourite grape, but being impressed with the beautiful berries, I asked to assist in the cellar during the making of the wine. It was love at first sight...
- The funding from Naked enabled me to get involved in the winemaking and also to secure this lovely wine, making it possible for me to afford production and packaging to send this lovely wine to you, Angels!
- The vineyards are situated on mid-altitude foothills in Stellenbosch, planted on clay soils, which makes the wine wonderfully opulent and rich. It’s silky soft, with delicious fruit driven flavours. Wild strawberries, generous raspberries, finished with a dollop of chocolate from the oak barrels.
- Stephen and Jamie de Wet (you know... only the guys behind our bestselling wines of all time) have had their ears to the ground and a beady eye on your comments. They know better than anyone what their Angels want - so it was with you at the forefront of their minds that they set to making this exclusive, velvety-smooth red. It has all the power and flavour you’d expect from a pair of Naked legends who have been with us since day dot.
- Powerful Petit Verdot heads up this velvety-smooth luxury blend. Stephen and Jamie used small parcels of each variety to capture the grape's true essence and best flavours, before giving it five-star treatment in fine French oak.
- The pair have taken the flavour up a notch or two with lip-smacking flavours of blackberry, liquorice and dark chocolate. It's a complex and powerful favourite, that's proven itself to be a fail safe companion to your Sunday roast.
- Our Maxime Reserve is a Mediterranean blend of Shiraz, Grenache, Cinsault and Mourvedre grown on the mountain valley of Piekenierskloof on 700 meters above sea level on decomposed granite soils. This specific terroir is best suited for these varietals, which are now in super high demand by most winemakers in South Africa. Thanks to Angel Funding, I could secure this amazing wine for you!
- Our Maxime Reserve might be less bold than older brother`s wine - the Matteo Reserve, but still has the power and elegance in equal measures, capturing the warmth and spice of the Shiraz, red fruits of the Grenache, cherries from the Cinsault and a touch of Mourvedre to add great harmony.
- Some varietals used in this blend are from qualified Old Vines, which give great depth and concentration and would normally sell for much more than this great value for money wine we could secure - thanks to Angel Funding!
Johan Kruger, Winemaker
- To make this Chardonnay, I sourced grapes from cooler climates around the Western Cape of South Africa. The grapes from these areas benefit from long cool summers that helps heighten and define its flavour.
- These cooler climates are hugely sought after by winemakers, and as you would expect the prices for those grapes are higher. Naked funding has allowed me to secure high quality grapes for several vintages, so that Angels can enjoy consistently high quality Chardonnay for years to come.
- The Cutler Chardonnay has a lovely freshness to it, apple, pear and peach flavours and an elegance and finesse that comes from 50% of the wine sitting in oak, and the other half left un-oaked.
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
- Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
- This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
- We’ve made $5 million available to help struggling wineries to survive and come out the other side of this Covid crisis. The closure of bars and restaurants across the globe has been a disaster for the independent winemakers who supply them. The little guys, without connections to the big supermarkets, are the ones who are suffering the most.
- When Covid hit, South Africa’s strict lockdown dealt a huge blow to his small family winery. They previously sold 90% of their wine to restaurants and bars around the world - so the sudden global closures hit them hard. Reenen turned to us, and in one single order we rescued half of his winery’s annual production. It's been a total game changer for Reenen’s small business.
- A full-bodied, ripe red, with concentrated plum and blackberry flavours, matured in posh French oak to give it an extra kick of spice and luxuriousness. Will turn your Tuesday night spag bol into a Michelin-worthy experience.