- Kobie & Faisal were always big fans of the famous white Burgundy 'Montrachet', but not of its uber-expensive price tag.
- So we challenged them to make a 'Montrachet' quality white – powerful, rich, with mind-boggling flavours – at South African prices.
- Little did we know it would turn into one of our all-time cult wines.
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
- Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
- This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
- Francois has worked for some of the world’s most iconic brands, including Dry Creek Vineyard in Sonoma, Jackson Estate in Marlborough, and Waterford Estate back home in Stellenbosch. His real passion however, is seeking out under the radar parcels to craft boutique wines like these.
- This one’s a real crusher. Somewhere between a French and New Zealand Sauvignon, it has a lovely herbaceous nose, glacier-like freshness and a beautiful texture.
- It’s light, fresh and vibrant, with mouth-watering tropical and passion fruit flavours. The perfect summer sipper.
- Who'da thought it... a big dollop of gutsy Shiraz can be brought to life by a tiny smidgeon of peachy pure Viognier.
- Big, rich, ripe bramble and damson fruit with lashings of oak are given a soft, silky finish by the addition of the Viognier with its hint of white peach acting as the perfect foil to the peppery undertones.
- Angel funding bought the grapes, so it's incredible quality for a very reasonable price... no wonder so many of you would happily buy it again!
- Arco’s one of the most experienced and well-connected winemakers in South Africa’s Western Cape and his speciality is seeking out the very best parcels of grapes and making wines that showcase the regions they’re from. Like this tasty little number from Breedekloof in the heart of the Western Cape.
This crisp white is Arco’s South African homage to Italian Pinot Gris - but he’s doubled up on intensity and character to make it the perfect accomplice for any foodie. It’s laced with tons of zingy fresh citrus flavours - lime, lemon, pear, nectarine and apple - with subtle hints of honey and floral aromas and goes a dream with crispy Portuguese prawn cakes or a big battered cod fillet and chips.
Arco wanted to pay his good fortune forward, after Angels came to the rescue in his hour of need. So he made this Pinot Gris to say thank you and give some of South Africa’s struggling winemakers a leg up - it’s a real win-win!
- Top wine writer Neal Martin (of Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate) recently described Bruwer as "the man who makes some of South Africa's finest wines". We reckon this spectacular blend definitely lives up to the hype.
- Cabernet Franc is Bruwer's signature grape (he bagged 5 stars in the Platter Wine Guide 2014 for his Family Cab Franc) - this time he's combined it with a mouth-watering Malbec...
- The results are pretty darn magical. This is a stonking red with bags of juicy black fruit, gorgeous concentration and a seriously elegant and pure finish.
- In times before whizzy tech and gigantic steel tanks, grape juice was left to ferment on its own accord, spontaneously bursting into action when the conditions were just right. It's a technique winemaker Kobie Viljoen is passionate about, and the old-school method has given this Chardonnay its smooth, creamy, rich almondy flavour.
- To geek-out further still, Kobie can clearly define where all the flavours in his mouth-watering Chardonnay come from. Only half of the wine was oaked, which gives it its pale straw, with flecks-of-gold appearance. It's bursting with citrus fruit and juicy apple flavours from the grapes, and finishes soft and smooth with hints of delicious cinnamon, caramel and vanilla from some time spent in fancy French oak barrels.
- Global lockdowns have hit the family-run winery hard, but thanks to Angel funding, they can continue to source premium grapes from all over Western Cape and craft their high-end wines.
- Over the years at Moerbei Estate we've grown top quality Pinotage fruit, but all of it was sold to boutique wineries nearby. We decided to take our fruit back and show Angels how delicious this hidden jewel can be.
- Naked had the confidence to give us the Angel investment in advance to help with our first bottling. They believed in us, and we hope once you taste our Redridge Pinotage you will love it too!
- Our Redridge Pinotage is full-bodied yet elegant with crunchy red fruit flavours on the palate and a delightful smokey nose. This wine is truly South African and it would compete with the best Pinotage in South Africa.
Kobie & Faisal - Winemakers
- Stephen and Jamie de Wet (you know... only the guys behind our bestselling wines of all time) have had their ears to the ground and a beady eye on your comments. They know better than anyone what their Angels want - so it was with you at the forefront of their minds that they set to making this exclusive, velvety-smooth red. It has all the power and flavour you’d expect from a pair of Naked legends who have been with us since day dot.
- Powerful Petit Verdot heads up this velvety-smooth luxury blend. Stephen and Jamie used small parcels of each variety to capture the grape's true essence and best flavours, before giving it five-star treatment in fine French oak.
- The pair have taken the flavour up a notch or two with lip-smacking flavours of blackberry, liquorice and dark chocolate. It's a complex and powerful favourite, that's proven itself to be a fail safe companion to your Sunday roast.
- We’ve made $5 million available to help struggling wineries to survive and come out the other side of this Covid crisis. The closure of bars and restaurants across the globe has been a disaster for the independent winemakers who supply them. The little guys, without connections to the big supermarkets, are the ones who are suffering the most.
- When Covid hit, South Africa’s strict lockdown dealt a huge blow to his small family winery. They previously sold 90% of their wine to restaurants and bars around the world - so the sudden global closures hit them hard. Reenen turned to us, and in one single order we rescued half of his winery’s annual production. It's been a total game changer for Reenen’s small business.
- This is Reenen’s flagship red. A mouthwateringly elegant and refined blend of Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, handpicked from his very best plots. A match made in heaven for roast beef and all the trimmings.