Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit. To really lift the flavour and intensify the lovely rich finish, Johan’s added a cheeky splash of Malbec.
- Virgile Joly is a minor genius with the Merlot grape, and he's come up trumps with this little number...
- In the mouth it's a fruit bomb of juicy red cherries and berries and, once the initial explosion settles, you are left with just a touch of wood smoke. Bloomin' lovely!
- A hunk of red meat, lots of roast potatoes, a smidge of veg (to keep mum happy) and a case of this. That's Sunday sorted.
- Our terroir here in Bulgaria is known for, and well suited for classic varieties such as Merlot. This variety is very popular in all the wine regions in Bulgaria, hopefully one taste and you’ll see why.
- Naked Wines is using the most powerful tools – innovations and internet. Investing in winemakers and giving the opportunity for direct interaction between the customers and the winemakers is a revolution and fair game for each party – this win-win philosophy is very attractive to us.
- The aroma is dominated by specific fruity (cherry, raspberry, blueberry) notes. The nose is intense, complex, and hopefully will appeal to all Angels.
Angel Angelov, Winemaker
Straight from a gorgeous little vineyard in the breathtaking Hunter Valley comes Thomas’ Wiley Rooster Rose. He gushed at how great the land was to work and says it produced something really rather special in 2018 which he couldn’t wait to share with Angels, and here it is!
Beautiful pale pink in colour with aromas of fresh strawberries and a subtle hint of Turkish Delight, this is a fresh, well-balanced and utterly delicious rose that we just can’t get enough of.
Thomas says this one is best enjoyed with some fresh seafood, a delicious cheese platter or simply by itself, curled up with a good book.
Charles and Ruth love Merlot and they love a good Merlot even more. And this is just that. They took these hand selected top notch Merlot grapes from their sun drenched vineyards in Saint Rose and made another corking wine.
All that Southern French sunshine is what Merlot needs to make this stunningly full bodied, velvety drop just bursting with plummy fruit with a touch of chocolate.
This rich and fruity red is just right with any mediterranean-style food from antipasti to ratatouille with every shade of pasta in between.
- The winemaking process behind this Merlot was kept as simple as possible, no crazy pump-over regime, just a focus on the gentle handling of the fruit and ageing of the wine in French oak casks for around 10 months.
- I've had my eye on this specific block for a while and I'm so glad to finally get my hands on the fruit. The close proximity of this vineyard to False Bay and the Atlantic ocean results in an early harvested crop, before the vines have started to bear any signs of heat-related stress - perfect for making juicy, fruity Merlot.
- Youthful in appearance, expect an explosion of dark fruits and a lovely chalky texture that's dangerously moreish, easy-drinking, and oh so smooth.
Adam Mason, Winemaker
- I've used grapes from three different vineyards, including one elevated site in the Strathbogie Ranges, to make my Rebel Merlot. Each parcel was handled, fermented and matured in oak separately from the others, before finally blending and bottling.
- This is a special wine - I blended it with the Aussie Archangels! Along with the rest of my Rebel range this is a flavoursome wine with that typical Jen Pfeiffer "muscle" along with the softness and plushness that makes Merlot so appealing.
- My Rebel Merlot has a beautiful ruby red, purple colour, with ripe plum and cherry flavours with a touch of mint. It's rich, rounded and smooth with a finish that will keep you coming back for more!
Jen Pfeiffer - Winemaker
- Old Naked favourite Thomas Hordern returns with the new vintage of his super smooth Merlot.
- This wine is oh so inviting with gorgeous, luscious dark berry aromas on the nose.
- Its beautifully rounded palate is silky smooth with berries jumping out, and a little spice that lingers and lingers....
- What 4th generation winemaker Pierre doesn't know about winemaking isn't worth knowing. He just seems to have the knack of making feel-good wine at a rock 'n' roll price.
- Pierre's Merlot is a treat - Seriously full-bodied with ripe fruits and a velvety finish. And thanks to Angel funding the price is sweet too!
- This is the perfect mid-week glugger. It'll go with everything from roast chicken to spag bol.