Stephen’s Merlot is absolutely soaked in warm Californian sunshine, it tastes awesome and is great value to boot!
Bursting with ripe and juicy blackberries, dark cherry and jammy plums followed by a dash of vanilla spice, it's the perfect tummy warmer.
Don’t be afraid to crack this wine open on any occasion. With food or without, it's the ultimate everyday drinker.
Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit. To really lift the flavour and intensify the lovely rich finish, Johan’s added a cheeky splash of Malbec.
- Chile was made to grow Merlot - 300 days of sunshine a year, high altitude, and just the right amount of water all help to ripen the grapes to fat, juicy perfection.
- Juan is a one-man dynamo. With the help of his family and the local village he gets the job done. No consultants, no sales managers, no agents, which is why the price is so damn low.
- Generous and fruity, Juan's Merlot glows ruby red. Think blackberry compote with hints of soft pepper and coffee.
- If you like the lovely mix of ripe black cherry and bitter red cherry fruit that often typifies Merlot - then you're going to love this full-bodied, ever so slightly butch take on the grape variety.
- Rich, chocolatey and full of punchiness, it leaves you wanting mouthful after mouthful - which is not bad considering it's punching well above its weight in the value/quality stakes.
- Patricio is one of our most highly rated winemakers. You simply can't get enough of him. Which is why we now stock his Reserve collection.
- Jonathan is ridiculously talented and living in a house bordering the banks of Bordeaux. And how did he get there? By producing some of the most sensational Garagiste wines you'll ever taste.
- You'll taste the brooding, delightful depth of ripe fruit - simply packed with juicy, mouth-wateringly rich flavour. Jonathan sourced pristine fruit from outside his winery and aged it in 100% new oak, to take it from good to sublime.
- A (very famous) previous vintage of Jonathan's wine scored a whopping 100 Parker Points - and accolades just don't come any higher than that. Go and grab yourself a bottle while you can...
- This wine is a blend of Merlot from three different vineyards - two of which are from the family vineyard, and one from Cheshunt, in the upper reaches of the King Valley. Once the grapes reach the winery they get the Rolls Royce treatment! Each parcel was fermented and matured separately in 225 litre French oak barriques before blending and bottling.
- My Diamond range are Angel favourites, and my Diamond Merlot sure packs a punch in the flavour department - you will be hard pressed to find another Merlot for less than £20 that can compete with its depth and fullness of flavour, which is the beauty of how Angel support benefits everyone.
- My Diamond Merlot has a lovely dark red/purple colour with lovely dark cherry and berry, dried herb and toasty new oak aromas, and ripe berry fruit flavours that move into milk chocolate and red berries, with rich tannins to help with the length.
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- Stephen de Wet is obsessed with delivering us wines that make our Angels go weak at the knees they taste so good, and this Merlot is no exception.
- For starters it has one of the most intense black cherry fruit flavours, that feel and taste in the mouth as if they've been whisked up with a shot of espresso and liquid dark chocolate. Add a hint of spice to the finish and you've got one hell of a mouthful of red wine.
- Also, because its a wine backed by our Angels, it's not only a great glass, but a pretty good bargain to boot.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- This prestigious Bordeaux is sourced from some of the best Grand Cru vineyards of St Emilion, and finished by winemaking wizard Jonathan Maltus.
- Concentrated yet elegant, generous but silky soft, and as proudly plush as they come, thanks to ageing in no expense spared French oak barrels.
- This is the seeeriously good stuff that you won't want to share. We suggest grabbing yourself a bottle and booking yourself an evening with a good film, and a better cheese board. You won't be disappointed.
- What 4th generation winemaker Pierre doesn't know about winemaking isn't worth knowing. He just seems to have the knack of making feel-good wine at a rock 'n' roll price.
- Pierre's Merlot is a treat - Seriously full-bodied with ripe fruits and a velvety finish. And thanks to Angel funding the price is sweet too!
- This is the perfect mid-week glugger. It'll go with everything from roast chicken to spag bol.