- Carmen is one of those rare winemakers who can, almost by magic, lovingly coax the best out of South Africa's tricky and sometimes unruly Chenin Blanc.T
- To make her best-selling Chenin, Carmen picks different parcels of fruit at varying ripeness levels, to give it the perfect balance of flavour and an uplifting freshness.
- The result is a deliciously drinkable Chenin with purity written all over it. Crisp and clean, it’s got fresh apple and white peach flavours running alongside a lovely creaminess, with a soft bite to the finish. Just delicious.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Don't be fooled by this decadent dessert wine's teensy price tag - its grapes were grown in Coteaux du Layon's famed soils, giving it enough depth and complexity to rival its dry-wine counterparts.
- The skilled Loire Valley winemakers used vibrant and juicy Chenin Blanc grapes to keep the sweet wine balanced with a refreshing acidity that keeps you reaching for more.
- Its stunning golden nectar is beautifully sweet but balanced with an uplifting freshness from lush apricot and citrus fruit flavours. It's got a lovely texture and long, satisfying finish.
WE'RE NOT SURE
The vineyards are located at the top of a charming little village in western France and have been lucky enough to avoid the frost which has plagued the rest of the Loire Valley and Europe in recent years.
Two pickings over 10 days makes sure both crisp freshness and full flavours go into this vibrant white that’s brimming with Old World class.
- This one will age beautifully for the next 5-7 years at least, taking on a more honeyed character as it does, whilst still remaining dry. It’s pure magic!
- I have some 45 year old bush vine Chenin Blanc that produces top quality grapes. I always wondered what this wine would taste like if I was to bottle it separately, Naked Angel funding gave me the opportunity to finally do it.
- The Raats Bush vine Chenin Blanc Limited 2014 was the maiden release of this very special and limited production, only 3000 bottles were made.
- This wine epitomises the understated elegance of Chenin Blanc - with lashings of rich oak. Its restrained, yet complex, with quince, ripe pear, orange blossoms, nettles and spice. The wine's beauty lies in its lightness of touch and in the elegant way its oaky complexity is revealed.
WE'RE NOT SURE
Chenin Blanc is becoming more and more fashionable as a grape variety as it offers so many different styles of wines from dry to sweet as well as sparkling. ‘Les Charmes’ is what we call a dry wine (sec) and is a perfect example of the fruity freshness of our Chenin grapes.
The first flavours and aromas you feel are fresh fruits like peach, pear and some citrus. The wine is quite long on the palate, very easy to drink and perfect to share with friends and family.
Thanks to our relationship with Naked Wines over the years, we have had the opportunity to improve our equipment so in 2018 we bought some small stainless steel tanks which has allowed us to be even more precise with our blends.
Cyril and Catherine, Winemakers
- Stephen de Wet describes his Chenin as rich and racy, and we'd have to agree! With crisp apple flavours and a wisp of creaminess, it's a sure fire winner.
- A multiple-award winning wine in South Africa. We're confident you won't find a Chenin of this quality for less anywhere else.
- It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that if nearly 60,000 people said they'd buy it again then there's something good going for it. Something very good