Kobie & Faisal were always big fans of the famous white Burgundy 'Montrachet', but not of its uber-expensive price tag.
So we challenged them to make a 'Montrachet' quality white – powerful, rich, with mind-boggling flavours – at South African prices.
Little did we know it would turn into one of our all-time cult wines.
- I’ve always loved drinking wines from the Rhone Valley, particularly their Viognier/Marsanne blends, so having the chance to blend a wine made from these gorgeous expressive varieties was easy!
- Finding the perfect balance took a lot of time in the tasting room, but the outcome (I hope you’ll agree) was worth it.
- Apricot, lemon, and a hint of rose musk leap out of the glass…and into your mouth! It is refreshing, zesty, and textural, with great length and balance.
- Last year Bill and Claudia made their first ever Gewurztraminer thanks to Angel funding. It went down an absolute storm so we begged them to make some more...
Once again they have worked their magic, with this wine oozing classic Gewurz flavours and aromas. We’re talking rose petal, spices and a plethora of exotic deliciousness.
It’s full-flavoured, beautifully balanced with a slightly off-dry finish and they hope you love drinking it as much as they loved making it!
- Richard does Elgin best. Fact. To prove it, he's won the ultimate accolade in South African winemaking, the Platter 5 stars for Chardonnay
- All this meant it was a no-brainer to invest in Richard. We've landed up with Burgundian quality at South African prices
- The doyenne of wine writing, Jancis Robinson, wrote a glowing review of a previous vintage. And awarded it a fine score of 16.5+/20
- Say the words’ Côtes du Rhône’ and you’d be forgiven for thinking instantly of a luscious red wine, but enter Denis Crespo who wants to give the whites of the Southern Rhône their chance in the spotlight.
- The vines thrived on the gentle, sunny slopes of the area and produced some seriously stunning grapes. Light, floral notes and touch of zingy acidity give freshness and a beautiful balance to this rich and flavourful Grenache blend.
- A little birdie told us that 2018 was a small but fantastic vintage so scoop up a bottle (or two!) of Denis’ liquid gold now to be sure you don’t miss out.
- You won’t find a winemaker more experienced, or frankly more passionate about his wines than Stephen. So when he said he wanted to make a classy Reserve Chardonnay, we knew it would be a bit special.
- Thanks to Angel funding, Stephen was able to hand-harvest the grapes and age them in the finest French oak casks, giving his Reserve Chard the elegance of a white Burgundy, with a dollop of South African sunshine for extra flavour.
- His full-bodied Chardonnay is chock full of zesty lemons, limes and grapefruit all wrapped up in a velvety coat of toasty, vanilla spices. It’s refined, it’s lavish, it’s sumptuous... perfect for a night on the sofa with a good movie and a cuddle.
- Leading the revolution for a new, modern style of wine, Stephen's Californian Chardonnay will have Chablis producers weeping with envy.
- This is as bright and refreshing as Chardonnay comes, with a dollop of Californian sunshine for extra oomph.
- Stephen recommends you grab yourself a fat tuna steak and go wild!
2018 has been labelled as ‘the vintage of the century’ for English wines so Charles and Ruth decided there was no better time to try something a bit special and knew a Reserve Chardonnay would fit the bill perfectly.
- Grapes straight from their vineyard in the rolling Kent countryside were hand-picked before spending 6 months in plush French oak barrels and bottled up ready for Angels.
- This elegant, fruit-forward and luscious Chard is a beautiful example of the magic Angel funding makes happen. Think premium White Burgundy or posh Napa Chard. So from the Simpsons, and from us, a huge thank you for supporting the English wine industry.
- Our KFW Old Vines Chardonnay come from a vineyard planted in 1986 on the Paardeberg Mountain, the same year as the "official" first Chardonnay planted on De Wetshof, named Bateleur, which makes our Old Vines Chardonnay the oldest Chardonnay vineyard in South Africa.
- These Old Vines bear little fruit and produce amazingly complex wines with great concentration, fantastic minerality and flavours that just keep on giving.
- To buy wines of this complexity from the likes of Burgundy, you would pay 2 or 3 times more, which makes our KFW Old Vines Chardonnay great value and I really hope you enjoy it, Angels!
Johan Kruger, Winemaker
- This is an intensely elegant Chardonnay that tastes so good we were worried we couldn't afford it.
- These vines are literally meters away from 1st cru vines. Esoteric Burgundian classifications from centuries ago mean that this fruit is going to cost a fraction of the price even though it delivers the same intensity and elegance of the neighbouring Montagny Cru vines.
- If you want to know what expensive French white Burgundy tastes like, this is your chance to find out without breaking the bank.