- When Ben came to us with a crackpot idea of using a method unique to Italian winemaking on a bunch of Grenache, Syrah and Carignan grapes grown up a hill in the Pyrenees — we had a mild panic.
- Repasse is the technique of passing an already mature vintage over the crushed grape skins left over from a new harvest to give it even more power and flavour.
- It sounds bonkers, but we shouldn’t have worried. Ben has taken this Languedoc red to a whole new level - it's minblowingly dark and delicious.
- Benjamin is one of our top winemakers, gaining credits all round with all our Angels. He's also a fabulously decent Frenchman. Even though we turned this down first time round, he still wanted his lovely Angels to enjoy it. We're so chuffed as it's an absolute blinder!
- It's a Syrah blend with a big dollop of Grenache that makes it a classically Southern French red - big ballsy, juicy berry fruits, with lots of gumption to back it up and a naughty, spicy finish.
- Think lamb, lamb and more lamb and then relish in the wonderful discount you get as an Angel.
- To get the best out of this wine, Ben recommends decanting it for 1-2 hours before drinking, add a Schott Zwiesel Decanter to your order and open up all the flavours whilst looking uber-impressive on your festive dinner table!
Sancerre is what you buy if you want to look flash. Pouilly Fume is what you buy if you really are flash, not to mention flush. Top of the French Sauvignon Blanc ladder, this is pure, mouth-watering luxury in a bottle.
Joost only gets to make this wine when the vintage is really, really good. He assured us this was one of those years. And by jove we agree!
Bright and zesty citrus fruits with a beautiful crisp minerality make this dangerously sippable. Seriously limited stock and ready for drinking right now. If you think too long about buying this, you might miss out...
WE'RE NOT SURE
- The search for a decent bottle of Chablis at a price that won't have the bank manager running screaming from the room has come to an end at last. And it's pretty damn good even though we say it ourselves.
- It ticks all the boxes. Great lemon and apple flavours. Tick. Lovely mineral quality. Tick. Long finish with great raciness. Tick.
- It's a classic with most fish dishes, but it has enough body and strength to stand up to a little bit of chicken tandoori if you've a taste for it.
- My Comte Tolosan is from an artisan producer in a southern appellation around Toulouse, where the grapes benefit from a contrast of sun-kissed days and cool Atlantic breezes to give an interesting and incredibly fresh wine.
- As you know, recently Chablis was very badly affected by a succession of extreme weather events and we still don't know how this will affect the harvest in a region where we've seen low yields for the last 5 years. Naked Wines have supported us and helped us bring this wine to Angels, so you get to experience a wine from this unknown area with our thanks.
- The blend of Colombard and Ugni Blanc give you a fresh and vivid lime and lychee flavour with a subtle hint of white pepper. It's a wine that's made to drink young, and it's great value!
Benjamin Laroche, Winemaker
- Like Sauvignon Blanc? Then you’ll love this. Ben selects exclusive parcels of grapes from a co-operative high up in the Languedoc hills, making a beautifully fresh, zippy white.
- 'Pic-de-What?' you say... Yes, it's got a funny name. And yes, it comes in a funny looking bottle. But that's exactly why it doesn't cost an awful lot more.
- his little-known wine won't be little-known forever and this vintage just picked up a medal at this year's IWC awards. So you really should get in now before everyone else does.
- My family have been making wine in Chablis for centuries. Now thanks to Angel funding, I've been able to put my own name on the label of this spectacular Chablis Premier Cru.
- I select only the best Chardonnay grapes for my Beauroy Premier Cru. The result is an incredibly crisp, bright and fresh Chablis with a long, elegant mineral finish.
- I love to enjoy it alongside some simple grilled fish, or if you want something a little more special, splash out on fresh oysters and shellfish.
- More than just a label. When Joost says ‘prestige’ he means ‘prestige’. And boy oh boy does this delicious Loire Sauvignon deserve its name...
- Classic, refined and dry. This luxurious drop has all the sophistication and character of a Sancerre. Except it’s not. Because that would be illegal.
- Grab yourself a hunk of creamy goats cheese, some posh crackers, and go wild.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Joost and Miguela have been delighting Angel tastebuds with premium Loire Sauvignon at New World prices for years... And their latest offering is next-level elegant.
- This low-yield wine is everything that makes French Sauvignon special: all white peach, green apples and gooseberries, with a finishing flourish that leaves you reaching for another glass.
- Fancy wine merchants could easily charge £15 per bottle for the same juice, just by adding a designer appellation to the label. But you’re smarter than that.
- Together with your support and Bondholder funding, Katie is back - and better than ever with her spectacular Old Vine Syrah.
- You've got gorgeously ripe blackberries by the bucketload, whilst a tingle of spicy licquorice dances on your tastebuds. Even better, it's been lovingly aged for extra depth and decadence thanks to bondholder funding.
- If you're a patient sort, you can lay this down for up to 5 years. If you're like us... you'll be snapping up a bottle now and cracking it open with a big fat juicy steak.