- This wine has a very unusual story, I was up in the mountains in Wellington, looking for more Old Vine Chenin Blanc vineyards, when I stumbled upon this Old Vineyard…
- After asking the farmer about it, he said that they did not even harvest the grapes the previous year and that it is ‘Tinta Barocca’, nobody wants to buy. I gave Eamon a call to see if we could help...
- Angel funding enabled me to pay the farmer a good price for the grapes, which in turn made him take extra special care of the vines and the resulting wine has amazing length, complexity and concentration! As it’s a small vineyard, volumes are limited so please buy some while you can.
- Johan Kruger, Winemaker
- Addictively delicious and a prime example of what Cabernet is all about with lots of juicy loosey cassis flavours ganging up with a lovely milk chocolate hit. All in all, scrummy.
- The grapes used to make this wine were bought with Angel money - which means you get it cheap as chips.
- This tummy warming red is sure to be a hit with Angels, and there isn't much of it...so get cracking, and don't forget to pick up a lamb biryani on your way whilst you're at it.
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
- Johan knew just where to go to find best grapes to make his Cab Sav and headed straight to the rolling vineyards of Stellenbosch.
- Elegant, powerful and packed full of dark fruit flavours - this is one red that’s born to age so if you can resist the urge to open it, then squirrel it away safely for a few years and let the magic unfold.
- Cab Sav grapes from Stellenbosch are seen as the Rolls Royce of the South African wine industry; they are hard to come by and the barrels used to get that sumptuous oakiness are expensive. It’s all thanks to Angel funding that Johan was able to secure such great juice and the necessary barrels so consider this a big thank you from him to you!