A Rioja of this quality would usually have a massive price tag, but thanks to Angel funding you get it at mates rates.
A Crianza is a Rioja aged for at least two years (at least one of which was in oak). This process gives the wine a silky, classy character which combined with a shot of pure crushed strawberry fruit delivers in spades.
This wine is a match made in heaven for a delicious leg of roast lamb or a smoky paprika-filled goulash.
- Rodolfo's great love in life is making Rioja for his Angels. Your funding helped him to nab some pristine grapes from the super-premium Alta region to make a seriously smooth Rioja.
- His cracking Crianza is aged in oak for 14 months to create a ravishingly rich drop with an elegant, silky finish. It's dripping with opulence and punches waaay above its price tag.
- A wine that looks and tastes this good should cost you a pretty penny. Luckily for you, this is a steal at the price. Grab yourself some affordable decadence while you can.
Back door wines are top notch wines sold off by prestigious wineries for rock-bottom prices in exchange for complete secrecy so we can’t tell you which vineyard this is from, but we can tell you it’s famous neighbours include Rioja and Ribera del Duero...
- It’s been barrel aged to perfection using the same plush barrels as super posh Reserva wines do and boasts ripe berry aromas, typical of Tempranillo grapes, and a complex bouquet of delicate spices and hints of vanilla.
Tuck into this fresh yet full bodied, velvety smooth red and savoury every second of that long, luxurious finish, safe in the knowledge you're drinking a top-quality wine without having paid the hefty price tag!
Cool nights on the slopes of Monte Agudo in southern Rioja meant Tom’s grapes could ripen nice and slowly to help bring about this fruity, juicy delight.
- It’s not only Tempranillo that has gone into his Flor de Luna though. Tom added in a smidge of Grenache to amp up the fruitiness (think red berries and fresh raspberries) as well as a drop of Viura for that elegant dash of pears and nectarines.
- If you like your Beaujolais reds and wines from the southern Rhone then pop this in your basket quick smart… it’s your chance to taste a traditional Rioja blend, made the traditional Rioja way.
Rioja’s one of the most loved wine regions on the planet. And with good reason. They don’t allow any old wine to be called Rioja. It has to meet some of the strictest wine quality rules in the world.
Luckily, Rodolfo is our man on the ground in Rioja, where he's known to save his best grapes for Angels. He says his Gran Seleccion is "about the best selection that we do coming from our very best grapes" - lucky us!
Oak aged for 10 months, it's full of flavour, elegance and silky smoothness. Our advice? Grab the cheese board, a glass and settle down for the evening.
Earlier this year, whilst on my travels around northern Spain, I ended up in the small town of Lerma and sat down to a delicious lunch of lamb…
Served alongside it was the Tierras del Arlanza and I was blown away! It’s a powerful blend of Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon, which packs a serious punch, especially considering its £8.99 price tag.
It’s the perfect winter warmer to have a few bottles of sitting in your rack to pull out for any occasion.
Eamon, Wine Guy
- Carlos is the man who knows how to find the juiciest hidden parcels of grapes in Spain, and he's done it again with this gem from Cariñena.
- With help from your funding, Carlos has been able to purchase the very best grapes from old Garnacha vineyards, creating a great value wine that rivals the best that the region can offer.
- Carlos' Carinena is an intense ruby red colour, deep and bold, with well balanced blackberry flavours with a hint of violet, delicious by itself and easy to pair with a range of foods.
Once upon a time, the dark fruit flavours of Cabernet Sauvignon met the soft but spicy ones of Grenache and, not long after, Marselan entered the world.
Diego went to outstanding lengths to ensure his first wine for you is a hit. From nurturing an organic vineyard, to only harvesting at night to preserve the yummy fruity aromas of the grapes.
Bright crimson in colour, it's packed with summer fruits and berries with a hint of spiciness - you can taste the TLC in every sip.
- This wine is halfway between a classical Crianza and a more modern style. David can’t resist putting his little twist on this delicious wine.
- Chock full of ripe blackcurrants, black cherries and bramble fruit with a touch of subtle sweet spices like vanilla, cloves and cinnamon from the 12 months spent ageing in oak.
- David pairs this wine with your Sunday roast beef. Rich, complex and elegant, it will take that special Sunday lunch to the next level.
- Carlos has something a lot of winemakers don't - access to the very best grapes around, and first dibs on his favourites. That means he only makes wines that he feels truly passionate about - and boy, does it show.
- This top class Crianza is full to the brim with jammy, fresh strawberry flavour, all rounded off beautifully with young, creamy oak. Top that off with a hint of vanilla and you've got a wine fit for the finest.
- If you like Rioja, you owe it to yourself to taste just how good this grape can be. Perfect with a paella or whatever spicy tapas nibbles take your fancy.