- I have always wanted to make an all-inclusive, five varietal Bordeaux Blend, but never had the access to all five varieties - that is until this year! I stumbled upon a few gems in some special vineyards, and I could not resist the challenge to make this wine.
- This wine was born as an idea and only made a reality by the funds raised by the Angels. Thank you Naked Wines and Angels for making this amazing wine possible.
- On the nose there are black berries, black cherry pie filling, cedar and some mild coffee notes. The palate is packed with layered fruit, oak complexities evolving to a finely grained tannin and juicy fruity finish.
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
- Your Golden Girl Carmen has been working on a parcel of perfect Pinotage.
- Carmen is one of the exceptional winemakers who knows exactly how to work wonders with the tricky Pinotage grape.
- With layer upon layer of ripe berry fruits, bags of complexity and a naughty lick of spice to finish - it's going to knock your socks off.
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- Back Door wines are top-notch wines sold off by prestigious wineries for rock-bottom prices in exchange for complete secrecy. So we can’t tell you which vineyard this is from, but we can tell you it sits on some of the most prestigious (and expensive) terroir in South Africa - nestled right between Stellenbosch and Franschhoek.
- Your reigning Winemaker of the Year, Johan Kruger, drives past the vineyard every day, and let’s just say he has friends in high places. He managed to convince a mate there to let him have a few bottles of this premium wine for a knock down price, so he could pass it on to Angels.
- The vineyard is famous for producing world class reds and this one is no different - rich, bright with a delightful freshness and a finish that goes on and on. It’s pure pleasure in a bottle and we can’t thank Johan enough.
- Willie and Faisal picked their very best fruit from their finest vineyards in the iconic Stellenbosch Hills to make their Directors' Reserve.
- Complex, rich and oh-so-elegant, every delicious sip of this South African Bordeaux Blend is jam-packed with brooding dark fruits with a delicious earthy spice on the finish.
- Thanks to funding raised in the Naked Fine Wine Bond, they were able to give it the time it needed to become even more spectacular.
- Think Chianti and then some. Kobie and Faisal take the Sangiovese grape and turbo-charge it with SA sunshine and love
- Taste Super Tuscan wine at supermarket prices - this Sangiovese is a luscious, rich and smooth Afro-Italian monster
- This wine is made in seriously small batches, so nab some while you can.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- In our opinion this is one of Stephen's best blends, and the combination of Cab Sauv, Shiraz and Merlot is about as close to perfection from South Africa, at this price, that we reckon you'll get. It certainly had us excited, when we got the chance to buy a small parcel.
- Full-bodied, and brimming with plum and blackcurrant flavours, it's worth paying the extra pennies to give it a try.
- Wonderful with something simple and homely, like a Lancashire hot-pot, that allows the wine to shine.
- Johan knew just where to go to find best grapes to make his Cab Sav and headed straight to the rolling vineyards of Stellenbosch.
- Elegant, powerful and packed full of dark fruit flavours - this is one red that’s born to age so if you can resist the urge to open it, then squirrel it away safely for a few years and let the magic unfold.
- Cab Sav grapes from Stellenbosch are seen as the Rolls Royce of the South African wine industry; they are hard to come by and the barrels used to get that sumptuous oakiness are expensive. It’s all thanks to Angel funding that Johan was able to secure such great juice and the necessary barrels so consider this a big thank you from him to you!
Only the very best grapes made it from the vineyards to Carmen’s super swish winery in the heart of Stellenbosch. All of them were hand-picked with care so you can be sure of top-notch quality with this stunning Cab Sauv.
Deep violet in colour, it’s an absolute powerhouse of a red. Rich, elegant, bursting with black fruits as well as hints of cassis, vanilla and a smidge of menthol for a refreshing burst at the end.
Angels voted in their hundreds for this wine in our 2017 Crush competition, so she wanted to make sure it over delivered in every way possible. It’s her way of saying a great big thank you for all your support. Safe to say she has done just that!