With its low yields and intensely flavoured fruit, Hawke’s Bay Syrah has become highly sought after. The fruit from good sites is in short supply and it’s all thanks to Angels that I am able to get my hands on grapes for such a great price.
Red fruits coupled with the now trademark Hawke’s Bay Syrah aromas of black pepper and aniseed give this red real character, but what really stands out is the immense length of flavour it has on the finish.
I suspect that it will sell slowly initially until a few people have tasted and rated it and then it will disappear. So tuck in as there isn’t much to go round!
Rod Easthope, Winemaker
- Mike loves his Pinot, and even when working for a top New Zealand winery, yearned to make his very own. Well, we came up with the funding and now he's going it alone - and producing classic NZ Pinot for all our Angels.
- Think ripe black cherry with a hint of raspberry, a little bit of liquorice and a bundle of juicy sweetness in the centre finished off with a kick of black pepper and hey presto! The perfect Pinot.
- Grab a leg of lamb, slow roast it for 12 hours, then serve with copious amounts of this. Stunning.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Phil Handford only makes one wine, Pinot Noir. It’s his obsession. And he makes some of the best on the planet. Hand picked from his own Central Otago vineyard, then lovingly cuddled in expensive French oak.
- Forget pricey Burgundy. When the French get their chops round this soft, elegant, seriously classy Pinot Noir from down under, they’ll be quaking in their vineyards.
- Vibrant and savoury, with fresh raspberry and cherry flavours, this is a complex, top-shelf red with subtle herbal notes, sweet spice and a lovely lick of oak.