Merlot is a challenge to grow in warm climates but having Angel backing helped Carmen to secure fruit from the right vineyards. By supporting local growers, the land is being preserved for generations to come and she can’t thank you enough!
- Grapes from 4 different vineyards went into this powerful, fruity red from your Winemaker of the Decade. Carmen carefully handpicked and hand-sorted all the fruit to make sure only the best quality berries ended up in the tank.
- Brimming with dark fruit flavours and aromas of ripe cherries, dark chocolate and toasted nuts, this beautifully balanced wine is perfect to drink now but can also be squirreled away for a good few years if you have the patience.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Virgile Joly is a minor genius with the Merlot grape, and he's come up trumps with this little number...
- In the mouth it's a fruit bomb of juicy red cherries and berries and, once the initial explosion settles, you are left with just a touch of wood smoke. Bloomin' lovely!
- A hunk of red meat, lots of roast potatoes, a smidge of veg (to keep mum happy) and a case of this. That's Sunday sorted.
Charles and Ruth love Merlot and they love a good Merlot even more. And this is just that. They took these hand selected top notch Merlot grapes from their sun drenched vineyards in Saint Rose and made another corking wine.
All that Southern French sunshine is what Merlot needs to make this stunningly full bodied, velvety drop just bursting with plummy fruit with a touch of chocolate.
This rich and fruity red is just right with any mediterranean-style food from antipasti to ratatouille with every shade of pasta in between.
- The winemaking process behind this Merlot was kept as simple as possible, no crazy pump-over regime, just a focus on the gentle handling of the fruit and ageing of the wine in French oak casks for around 10 months.
- I've had my eye on this specific block for a while and I'm so glad to finally get my hands on the fruit. The close proximity of this vineyard to False Bay and the Atlantic ocean results in an early harvested crop, before the vines have started to bear any signs of heat-related stress - perfect for making juicy, fruity Merlot.
- Youthful in appearance, expect an explosion of dark fruits and a lovely chalky texture that's dangerously moreish, easy-drinking, and oh so smooth.
Adam Mason, Winemaker
- I've used grapes from three different vineyards, including one elevated site in the Strathbogie Ranges, to make my Rebel Merlot. Each parcel was handled, fermented and matured in oak separately from the others, before finally blending and bottling.
- This is a special wine - I blended it with the Aussie Archangels! Along with the rest of my Rebel range this is a flavoursome wine with that typical Jen Pfeiffer "muscle" along with the softness and plushness that makes Merlot so appealing.
- My Rebel Merlot has a beautiful ruby red, purple colour, with ripe plum and cherry flavours with a touch of mint. It's rich, rounded and smooth with a finish that will keep you coming back for more!
Jen Pfeiffer - Winemaker
- Old Naked favourite Thomas Hordern returns with the new vintage of his super smooth Merlot.
- This wine is oh so inviting with gorgeous, luscious dark berry aromas on the nose.
- Its beautifully rounded palate is silky smooth with berries jumping out, and a little spice that lingers and lingers....
- If you like the lovely mix of ripe black cherry and bitter red cherry fruit that often typifies Merlot - then you're going to love this full-bodied, ever so slightly butch take on the grape variety.
- Rich, chocolatey and full of punchiness, it leaves you wanting mouthful after mouthful - which is not bad considering it's punching well above its weight in the value/quality stakes.
- Patricio is one of our most highly rated winemakers. You simply can't get enough of him. Which is why we now stock his Reserve collection.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- It’s no accident Stephen’s an all-time Naked legend. You'd struggle to find many winemakers making better kit at £6.99 a bottle, and this Merlot is no exception.
- For starters it has one of the most intense black cherry fruit flavours that taste as if they've been whisked up with a shot of espresso and liquid dark chocolate. Add a hint of spice to the finish and you've got one hell of a mouthful of red wine.
- What's more, because its backed by our Angels, it's not only a great glass, but a pretty good bargain to boot.