Merlot is a challenge to grow in warm climates but having Angel backing helped Carmen to secure fruit from the right vineyards. By supporting local growers, the land is being preserved for generations to come and she can’t thank you enough!
- Grapes from 4 different vineyards went into this powerful, fruity red from your Winemaker of the Decade. Carmen carefully handpicked and hand-sorted all the fruit to make sure only the best quality berries ended up in the tank.
- Brimming with dark fruit flavours and aromas of ripe cherries, dark chocolate and toasted nuts, this beautifully balanced wine is perfect to drink now but can also be squirreled away for a good few years if you have the patience.
Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit. To really lift the flavour and intensify the lovely rich finish, Johan’s added a cheeky splash of Malbec.
- Who'da thought it... a big dollop of gutsy Shiraz can be brought to life by a tiny smidgeon of peachy pure Viognier.
- Big, rich, ripe bramble and damson fruit with lashings of oak are given a soft, silky finish by the addition of the Viognier with its hint of white peach acting as the perfect foil to the peppery undertones.
- Angel funding bought the grapes, so it's incredible quality for a very reasonable price... no wonder so many of you would happily buy it again!
- I often ride my mountain bike across our neighbour’s farm, and one vineyard has always intrigued me. After some investigation I learned that it was Pinotage. Pinotage isn’t my favourite grape, but being impressed with the beautiful berries, I asked to assist in the cellar during the making of the wine. It was love at first sight...
- The funding from Naked enabled me to get involved in the winemaking and also to secure this lovely wine, making it possible for me to afford production and packaging to send this lovely wine to you, Angels!
- The vineyards are situated on mid-altitude foothills in Stellenbosch, planted on clay soils, which makes the wine wonderfully opulent and rich. It’s silky soft, with delicious fruit driven flavours. Wild strawberries, generous raspberries, finished with a dollop of chocolate from the oak barrels.
- Your Golden Girl Carmen has been working on a parcel of perfect Pinotage.
- Carmen is one of the exceptional winemakers who knows exactly how to work wonders with the tricky Pinotage grape.
- With layer upon layer of ripe berry fruits, bags of complexity and a naughty lick of spice to finish - it's going to knock your socks off.
- I have always wanted to make an all-inclusive, five varietal Bordeaux Blend, but never had the access to all five varieties - that is until this year! I stumbled upon a few gems in some special vineyards, and I could not resist the challenge to make this wine.
- This wine was born as an idea and only made a reality by the funds raised by the Angels. Thank you Naked Wines and Angels for making this amazing wine possible.
- On the nose there are black berries, black cherry pie filling, cedar and some mild coffee notes. The palate is packed with layered fruit, oak complexities evolving to a finely grained tannin and juicy fruity finish.
- The winemaking process behind this Merlot was kept as simple as possible, no crazy pump-over regime, just a focus on the gentle handling of the fruit and ageing of the wine in French oak casks for around 10 months.
- I've had my eye on this specific block for a while and I'm so glad to finally get my hands on the fruit. The close proximity of this vineyard to False Bay and the Atlantic ocean results in an early harvested crop, before the vines have started to bear any signs of heat-related stress - perfect for making juicy, fruity Merlot.
- Youthful in appearance, expect an explosion of dark fruits and a lovely chalky texture that's dangerously moreish, easy-drinking, and oh so smooth.
Adam Mason, Winemaker
- In our opinion this is one of Stephen's best blends, and the combination of Cab Sauv, Shiraz and Merlot is about as close to perfection from South Africa, at this price, that we reckon you'll get. It certainly had us excited, when we got the chance to buy a small parcel.
- Full-bodied, and brimming with plum and blackcurrant flavours, it's worth paying the extra pennies to give it a try.
- Wonderful with something simple and homely, like a Lancashire hot-pot, that allows the wine to shine.
- Syrah and Shiraz are planted in a multitude of different countries these days, however for me true Syrah can be found in the Northern Rhone. The idea behind The Cutler Syrah was to tip my hat to the Rhone style, whilst at the same time show the unique characteristics of Elgin and Elim in South Africa.
- I have made this wine from parcels usually reserved for more expensive wines. Luckily as I know the grower well, I have managed to secure them for a keen price so that the Angels can benefit from an excellent wine at a great price.
- Last year has been hailed as one of the best vintages of modern times, the grape bunches were the healthiest many farmers had ever seen! As the grapes have had a chance to fully ripen, you're left with a wine that has delicious red plum and black berry fruit, with black and white pepper and a crushed velvet texture that will drink well now and for a few years yet.
Richard Kershaw, Winemaker
- Stephen has more Naked ratings than the President of the World Nudist Society, and we can understand why when he takes an unpopular grape like Pinotage and turns it into something very special - and all for relative peanuts thanks to Angel support.
- Dark damson fruits with an edge of prune, and a tinge of black cherry combine with milk chocolate to make this a heavenly tipple.
- Lamb chops, mint sauce, a bottle of this. Bingo...