From the gentle slopes of Southern France comes Denis’ debut wine for Angels and it’s a seriously classy one that had us grinning from ear to ear from the first sip. No wonder this guy is so highly sought after!
Dark red in colour, with a sumptuous mix of spicy aromas and gorgeous dark fruits such as cherries and blackcurrants, this wine boasts a superb structure and the long, round finish that’s typical of wines from the area.
2017 was a sensational vintage so snap up a bottle of this fruity, full bodied Rhône wine before word gets out and it’s all gone!
- When Scott Feldtmann (who looks after the Gentle Annie vineyard) offered me some pristine fruit from his own vineyard, Major Plains, I knew it would be too good an opportunity to pass up! The vineyard is dry grown and produces a very small crop of intensely coloured and concentrated fruits.
- To show at its best, high end red wine needs new oak barrels, and these are expensive. Bond funding helped me to buy the best oak which lets this wine sing. Truth is, I wouldn’t be making this wine without the fantastic support of Bondholders!
- An impressive inky depth fills your glass with a purple rim. It has a great intensity of flavour - rich and powerful with great length. There is also a velvetiness to it, which makes it attractive to drink rather than just being all about power. I hope you’ll be blown away by it!
WE'RE NOT SURE
- When we first bought the Jas de Bressy vineyards they were in a poor shape, however we were able to keep all the old vines on the estate to make this Châteauneuf-du-Pape.
- As we harvest this estate at the end of the season we are able to harvest the whole bunch of grapes without desteming, as even the stems are ripe enough at this point. The wine we end up is very concentrated and requires much longer ageing in oak.
- Our Chateau Jas de Bressy is subtle and elegant, with the sort of robust red colour and dark fruit flavours you would expect from the highest quality Châteauneuf-du-Pape. While you can drink it now, if you were to wait for 10-20 years you will be able to see the flavours fully develop.
Frederic Maillet, Winemaker
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- Franck spent 7 years as a respected UK sommelier, serving ultra-expensive vintages to the most demanding clients in Michelin-starred restaurants. Now he's made a Priorat just like the ones he used to pour when he was a Somellier at top Michelin restaurants.
- Hand-made in tiny batches and aged in no-expense-spared oak barrels. Bursting with sumptuous ripe fruit, a lovely smoky note and velvety tannins, this is as opulent and delicious as red wine gets.
- It tastes seriously delicious now. But if you're the patient type, it'll taste even better in 20 years.
- Irene makes each bottle of her ultra-premium Carmenere with hand picked grapes from her boutique winery. It's all that extra loving care that makes this wine so downright delicious.
- Sublimely silky, ravishingly rounded and ready to slip over your tongue like a Freudian theory. Think rich, dark ripe fruit with just a touch of coffee to finish... and what a lusciously long, sultry finish it is too!
- A perfect partner for a soul-warming Chilli con Carne or a wedge of your favourite strong cheese. We reckon you'll enjoy it on it's own too - and at this price, it'd be rude not to.
- Sam’s Gentle Annie Cab is the very definition of a fine wine. Opulent, full-bodied, rich and powerful, it’s packed with black fruit and balanced with lovely herbal and spicy notes from the oak.
- It's delicious now. But this wine will be build in refined savoury complexity over time… so if you have a secret hidy hole, it's the sort of wine you could stash for a while and come back to.
- Whatever you do, just don’t open this on a Tuesday night when you’re tired. This wine deserves the best meal, the best company, the best occasion, and it won’t let you down.
- I source the fruit for my Diamond Shiraz from the oldest vines I can get my hands on. They're nearly 40 years old and consistently produce concentrated flavours, good colour and a lovely fullness to the wines. I give it all the love and care in the world in the winery, fermenting each parcel of fruit separately before maturing in French and American oak barrels for 15 months.
- Shiraz is my all time favourite variety, and my Diamond range are the pick of the bunch.... so it goes without saying that I give my winemaking all to this wine to make sure it over delivers on flavour and richness - thank you Angels for giving me the freedom to make this for you!
- My Diamond Shiraz 2017 has a beautiful dark purple-red colour, with rich and powerful aromas of dark berries, toasty oak and warming spices. The flavours are equally rich, with round and generous dark fruit, long complex oak characters and a delicious lingering finish.
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- The grapes for my Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon come from the very best vineyards in Heathcote, Rutherglen and the King Valley. I make sure each grape receives the Rolls Royce treatment in the winery, where each parcel of fruit is handled separately, before maturing in top quality French oak barrels for 14 months.
- My Diamond Cab Sauv is probably my most popular wine, with last year's vintage selling out in record time. I really appreciate all your support, without Angels, I wouldn't be able to do what I love - making wines for you to enjoy!
- This is a big bold red wine. The colour is dark, deep and brooding. It's so powerful and elegant and full of those lovely Cab fruit characters, but such long, fine tannins on the finish - it has me reaching for another glass, and another!
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- I love drinking SGM and adore the challenge of blending these varieties to achieve a balanced, elegant, and perhaps most of all, intriguing wine.
- Angel votes and funding made it possible for me to source some exceptional parcels of Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvèdre from my old stomping ground in McLaren Vale.
- This is a beautifully silky SGM, with both fruit power yet so much elegance and restraint. Bright red fruits weave seamlessly with hints of spice, with a smooth texture that carries over the palate and has a long fresh finish.
Nina Stocker, Winemaker