- This is a big wine not to be taken lightly! A deep magenta in the glass with aromas of plum, dark berries, chocolate and raisins along with earthy hints and pepper, all combined to give layer upon layer of plush aromatic complexity. Be sure to decant to appreciate its full effect.
- The grapes for this wine are hand-grown and picked by Tait Hamilton from his vineyard in Heathcoate, on the border of the Mount Camel Ranges. Tait’s vineyard grows magnificent fruit, and it’s a pleasure to make wine from the best grapes.
- It’s pretty straight forward to make a good wine with fantastic fruit like this… but to show at its best it needs good (read expensive) new oak barrels. Bondholder funding helped me to buy the luxury oak which takes this wine to the next level. The funding is only part of the story, NW also links us to wonderful Angels which gives the wine a home.
- Insanely talented Daryl worked at the ultra-prestigious Penfolds for over 8 years, making some of the most collectable wines in Oz. Don't say we never treat you...
- A powerhouse of ripe 'n' ready dark fruit, with oodles of vibrant fresh berries. And the finish...? Boy oh boy! Hints of spice, a luscious lick of oak and a touch of dark chocolate make this wine complex, accessible - and effortlessly delicious.
- Daryl has won Winemaker of the Year over 10 times - and let's not even start on his medal collection. This is your chance to taste something truly spectacular for next to nothing. Get yourself a bottle - while you can - and devour it with Asian style sticky ribs off the barbie.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- 2017 was an exceptional year for reds at Sainte Rose, particularly the Rhone red varieties. We thought if any year we could make a super premium red it was this year!
- We left the fruit longer on the vines for greater concentration, hand picked to select only the ripest and cleanest fruit, and used the gentlest of flavour extraction techniques. With the help of the Naked Angels we were also able to buy super high end French oak barrels in which to age this wine.
- Our anniversary blend is a statuesque, powerful and deeply flavoured wine with aromas of warm plums, blackberry and dried lavender. It's got bags of depth and concentration without the heaviness.
Charles & Ruth, Winemakers
- Caroline learned her Syrah-thing from a stint at the legendary Rhone producer, Domaine Jean-Louis Chave
- This is small-batch, single-vineyard, hands-on winemaking from one of the Yarra's hottest talents. Angel funding has made the price a lot lower than it should be
- Top wine critics like Tim Atkin, Andrew Jefford and Fiona Beckett have all declared their love for Caroline's wines. Maybe it's time you should too
- Angel funding has played a tremendous role in this wine. I was able to source top-end fruit from the best terroirs, slopes and growers.
- This enabled me to cast my sourcing net wide over the vineyard sites and regions of Durbanville and Stellenbosch - resulting in more complex, multidimensional wines for the Angels.
- The result is a Shiraz that stands out from the more traditional styles of Shiraz in South Africa. It shows the best of both regions without overpowering each other. A Shiraz style that is both prominent yet elegant.
- Richard spent years making fine wines for the most prestigious winery in South Africa. Now with a sprinkle of Angel funding, he's bringing all of his passion, experience and know-how to your glass.
- An elegant and refined Syrah with a graceful touch. Bursting with fresh and vibrant dark fruits... with a splice of ground white pepper to give it that spicy kick Syrah is famous for.
- This delectable drop makes the perfect crowning glory on your finest Sunday roast - grab yourself a lovely top-side of beef and watch their jaws drop.
- Having lived here for 20 years, I think Corbieres may be one of the most unspoilt areas of France. I wanted to make a wine that reflected the beauty yet wildness of this area. To show that with a little care and attention it was possible to come up with a superior style packed full of the fruit, wild herbs and individual character of the area.
- Angels voted in their masses for this wine during the Summer Tasting Tour to make my dream a reality. I thought I had something rather special but it is great to have the 'yes' vote from the Angels.
- I am a sucker for the traditional rustic Carignan grape and in this wine it is balanced perfectly with the graceful Syrah and fruity smooth Grenache. The fruit is dark and ripe with notes of wild herbs - rosemary, thyme, pepper and liquorice! The barrel ageing helps to soften the wine and control the wild rustic character.
With its low yields and intensely flavoured fruit, Hawke’s Bay Syrah has become highly sought after. The fruit from good sites is in short supply and it’s all thanks to Angels that I am able to get my hands on grapes for such a great price.
Red fruits coupled with the now trademark Hawke’s Bay Syrah aromas of black pepper and aniseed give this red real character, but what really stands out is the immense length of flavour it has on the finish.
I suspect that it will sell slowly initially until a few people have tasted and rated it and then it will disappear. So tuck in as there isn’t much to go round!
Rod Easthope, Winemaker