- Charles is an Englishman in France breaking the rules - so when the locals say you can't make zippy Sauvignon, he went out to prove them wrong.
- In a previous life he worked in pharmaceuticals - now he takes a scientific approach to getting the best from his grapes. While the French are still on holiday in August, Charles is busy in the fields measuring and monitoring to get the best out of his vines.
- Bright and deliciously zippy citrus fruits with bunches of crisp green apples. Grab yourself some fresh shellfish and go nuts.
- This little beaut of a Sauv Blanc takes crispness to a new level with its utterly captivating gooseberry notes and zingy, tingly finish.
- Juan the winemaker doesn't believe in wasting money on pointless marketing nonsense. Neither do we, so its a match made in heaven that results in a ridiculously good value white.
- Youth may be wasted on the young, but not on Sauvignon Blanc. The only way to drink this variety when it's from the New World is straight off the boat and straight into the glass.
Serena Cordero’s posh Italian whites are much loved by her fans. But she also has great contacts in Moldova from her student days, so she knew the country was an emerging region making quality wines at real value. And when her contacts gave her the chance to go make wines there, she grabbed it.
Serena's ‘Tris’ is an elegant, crisp and aromatic blend of Chardonnay, Riesling and Traminer, with peach and tropical fruit notes, lots of body and a lovely complex mouthfeel.
Since gaining independence from the Soviet Union, Moldova has gone from being one of the poorest countries in the world to a producer of modern, high-quality European-style wines. And thanks to Serena, you’re getting some ahead of the game. When the world catches up with Moldovan wines, the price isn’t going to stay at £6.99 forever.
WE'RE NOT SURE
When we sent out word that Angels wanted more affordable white wines from off the beaten track, we never expected one of our Italian winemakers to pitch up with a cracking Pinot Grigio from Moldova.
Moldova lies at the eastern edge of Europe, bordering the Russian Steppe. Its rolling hillsides of rich black soil overlie ancient fossilised limestone. Bright sunshine combined with keen winds keep the vines healthy and honest. Perfect for making crisp, refreshing whites like this Pinot Grigio.
Serena’s fruity and fresh Pinot Grigio will surprise you with its depth of texture and flavour. It’s full of vibrant, bright citrus, pear and floral notes, and a lingering aftertaste. Proper ‘happy juice’ really!
- Virgile's wines are in high demand and it's easy to see why with wines such as this cracking little Sauvignon that makes New Zealand versions look brash and brutish.
- Its subtle soft fruit flavours, all fresh apple and baked gooseberry with a slightly herbal edge slip down far too easily, making possession of a whole case a dangerous prospect.
- Try it with a big bowl of fat, juicy mussels - it really doesn't get much better.
- Stephen de Wet describes his Chenin as rich and racy, and we'd have to agree! With crisp apple flavours and a wisp of creaminess, it's a sure fire winner.
- A multiple-award winning wine in South Africa. We're confident you won't find a Chenin of this quality for less anywhere else.
- It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out that if nearly 60,000 people said they'd buy it again then there's something good going for it. Something very good