Merlot is a challenge to grow in warm climates but having Angel backing helped Carmen to secure fruit from the right vineyards. By supporting local growers, the land is being preserved for generations to come and she can’t thank you enough!
- Grapes from 4 different vineyards went into this powerful, fruity red from your Winemaker of the Decade. Carmen carefully handpicked and hand-sorted all the fruit to make sure only the best quality berries ended up in the tank.
- Brimming with dark fruit flavours and aromas of ripe cherries, dark chocolate and toasted nuts, this beautifully balanced wine is perfect to drink now but can also be squirreled away for a good few years if you have the patience.
Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit. To really lift the flavour and intensify the lovely rich finish, Johan’s added a cheeky splash of Malbec.
- Who'da thought it... a big dollop of gutsy Shiraz can be brought to life by a tiny smidgeon of peachy pure Viognier.
- Big, rich, ripe bramble and damson fruit with lashings of oak are given a soft, silky finish by the addition of the Viognier with its hint of white peach acting as the perfect foil to the peppery undertones.
- Angel funding bought the grapes, so it's incredible quality for a very reasonable price... no wonder so many of you would happily buy it again!
- I often ride my mountain bike across our neighbour’s farm, and one vineyard has always intrigued me. After some investigation I learned that it was Pinotage. Pinotage isn’t my favourite grape, but being impressed with the beautiful berries, I asked to assist in the cellar during the making of the wine. It was love at first sight...
- The funding from Naked enabled me to get involved in the winemaking and also to secure this lovely wine, making it possible for me to afford production and packaging to send this lovely wine to you, Angels!
- The vineyards are situated on mid-altitude foothills in Stellenbosch, planted on clay soils, which makes the wine wonderfully opulent and rich. It’s silky soft, with delicious fruit driven flavours. Wild strawberries, generous raspberries, finished with a dollop of chocolate from the oak barrels.
- Your Golden Girl Carmen has been working on a parcel of perfect Pinotage.
- Carmen is one of the exceptional winemakers who knows exactly how to work wonders with the tricky Pinotage grape.
- With layer upon layer of ripe berry fruits, bags of complexity and a naughty lick of spice to finish - it's going to knock your socks off.
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- I have always wanted to make an all-inclusive, five varietal Bordeaux Blend, but never had the access to all five varieties - that is until this year! I stumbled upon a few gems in some special vineyards, and I could not resist the challenge to make this wine.
- This wine was born as an idea and only made a reality by the funds raised by the Angels. Thank you Naked Wines and Angels for making this amazing wine possible.
- On the nose there are black berries, black cherry pie filling, cedar and some mild coffee notes. The palate is packed with layered fruit, oak complexities evolving to a finely grained tannin and juicy fruity finish.
- My aim when I made this wine was to create a unique experience from vines grown on decomposed granite soils in the Polkadraai ward of Stellenbosch. I've only made 3,000 bottles and every single one has been exclusively produced for Naked Wines as a thank you for your support.
- The grapes were hand sorted three times, crushed then left to soak on the skins for five days, and then aged for 14 months in french oak after fermentation completed. I wanted everything to be as natural as possible, so I've neither fined nor filtered my Silver Hope Cabernet Franc.
- This wine is elegant, with a delicious plum and dark berry fruitiness, and a cinnamon spice and a hint of minerality that makes it extremely moreish.
Bruwer Raats, Winemaker
- I have some 45 year old bush vine Chenin Blanc that produces top quality grapes. I always wondered what this wine would taste like if I was to bottle it separately, Naked Angel funding gave me the opportunity to finally do it.
- The Raats Bush vine Chenin Blanc Limited 2014 was the maiden release of this very special and limited production, only 3000 bottles were made.
- This wine epitomises the understated elegance of Chenin Blanc - with lashings of rich oak. Its restrained, yet complex, with quince, ripe pear, orange blossoms, nettles and spice. The wine's beauty lies in its lightness of touch and in the elegant way its oaky complexity is revealed.
Angels love finding new wines from off the beaten track. So when we looked beyond Stellenbosch and discovered Werner’s insanely delicious kit hiding out in a little town called Tulbagh, we thought, get in!
Pinotage is South Africa’s signature red grape and when handled properly produces some seriously impressive vino. Werner's has oodles of ripe berries, hints of vanilla and liquorice, and a lingering smoky sweetness that goes on forever.
This juicy number needs to breathe for a little first, then pair it with a nice leg of roast lamb and some herby potatoes. Stunning.