- I often ride my mountain bike across our neighbour’s farm, and one vineyard has always intrigued me. After some investigation I learned that it was Pinotage. Pinotage isn’t my favourite grape, but being impressed with the beautiful berries, I asked to assist in the cellar during the making of the wine. It was love at first sight...
- The funding from Naked enabled me to get involved in the winemaking and also to secure this lovely wine, making it possible for me to afford production and packaging to send this lovely wine to you, Angels!
- The vineyards are situated on mid-altitude foothills in Stellenbosch, planted on clay soils, which makes the wine wonderfully opulent and rich. It’s silky soft, with delicious fruit driven flavours. Wild strawberries, generous raspberries, finished with a dollop of chocolate from the oak barrels.
- 2016 was quite a year for Johan Kruger. First he gave up his safe Stellenbosch job to go it alone and make his award-winning kit for Naked. Then, when Angels got a taste of his stupidly delicious wines, you nominated him for Winemaker of the Year!
Johan heard he’d been nominated on his son Matteo’s birthday. He felt honoured, and humbled, and determined to pay back the amazing Angels who voted for him, by making a truly spectacular wine. Funding allowed him to get his hands on some truly top-notch fruit and reserve juice and they came together perfectly...
This is a complex wine with dense flavours. Shiraz, Pinotage and Cab Sauv give it a lovely backbone of dark, brooding fruit and peppery complexity, while a splash of Merlot softens the finish to silky-smooth.
Stellenbosch is the beating heart of the South African wine industry. It has the perfect soils and climate to make some of the best Merlot on the planet.
Lucky for us, Johan’s connections there include some of South Africa’s winemaking top brass. So when a mate of his made a vintage of one of the country’s most sought after Merlots, Johan used all his charm (plus a dollop of Angel funding) to snaffle a parcel up for you.
From the first sip it’s velvety soft and silky, like proper Merlot should be. With big warm hugs of red fruit. To really lift the flavour and intensify the lovely rich finish, Johan’s added a cheeky splash of Malbec.
- Stephen has been with us since day one. Ten years ago his life changed when Angels rescued his struggling winery, and since then he has gone from strength to strength. Now it’s time to celebrate with something special!
- The Shiraz and Pinotage in the blend pack in bags of oomph and rich flavour. But Stephen’s stroke of genius was to add in Petit Verdot and Grenache to take the velvety opulence to another level. Think soft waves of rich black fruit and chocolate, oak, spice, liquorice (all the good stuff), erupting all over your taste buds.
- Instead of breaking into a raucous chorus of ‘Happy Birthday to Us’, let us propose a toast. Here’s to you, our Angels. To Stephen. And all our winemakers who have made the past 10 years a truly incredible journey. We could not have done it without you.
- Bruwer is a self confessed Cab Franc freak. He loves making delicious wine with it and this blend is a masterful example of how to do it right.
- The Cab Franc brings out beautiful red cherry and red plum flavours while the Malbec adds brooding bramble flavours with a spicy hit from the Pinotage, all wrapped up with delicious herbaceous aromas of rosemary.
- The fruit from this blend comes from the ultra premium wine growing regions in Stellenbosch and you would normally have to pay an arm and a leg to get this quality but Bruwer got it all for a steal.
- Carmen Stevens hardly needs any introduction to most Angels. She’s the unsung winemaking hero you helped us pluck from obscurity in South Africa. Her latest Naked outing comes in the form of this voluptuous, versatile Cabernet blend from the sunshine-soaked Coastal Region.
- This is Carmen’s homage to Bordeaux, only better. Like Bordeaux it’s made from only premium, sophisticated grapes. But unlike Bordeaux, they come from the sun-drenched vineyards of South Africa, taking the flavour through the roof.
- This deep ruby drop is packed with intense blackcurrant fruits, with a hint of juicy red berries - finished off with a tender touch of posh oak. It's the best of both worlds in a bottle, just for you.
- I have always wanted to make an all-inclusive, five varietal Bordeaux Blend, but never had the access to all five varieties - that is until this year! I stumbled upon a few gems in some special vineyards, and I could not resist the challenge to make this wine.
- This wine was born as an idea and only made a reality by the funds raised by the Angels. Thank you Naked Wines and Angels for making this amazing wine possible.
- On the nose there are black berries, black cherry pie filling, cedar and some mild coffee notes. The palate is packed with layered fruit, oak complexities evolving to a finely grained tannin and juicy fruity finish.
- The idea for my 'Little Angel White' came about after the most amazing response from Naked Angels to help me feed over 3,000 disadvantaged school kids in Stellenbosch. I wanted to make a special wine to honour the Angels who have touched the lives of so many children.
- Armed with Angel funding I was able to get my hands on delicious, ethically produced fruit and give it the best treatment so you get the full expression of the vineyard.
- This deliciously sassy wine is a big warm, appreciative thank you, from the children and me. It's a beautiful fusion of heaps of yummy fruit including fresh limes, peaches and baked apple... I really hope you enjoy it!
Carmen Stevens, Winemaker
- Simply put, Richard is pure winemaking talent. He wanted to bring Angels something new so who were we to stop him?
- His Marsanne is packed with fruitiness galore. Think apricots, white peaches, pears, melons and you’d be spot on. There’s a slight minerally edge and touch of spice too that gives this wine a fabulously rich texture.
- Richard’s advice? Enjoy it young! Although if you’d like to see the silky, exotic texture develop in complexity, by all means lay this one down for a couple of years.
- Top wine writer Neal Martin (of Robert Parker's The Wine Advocate) recently described Bruwer as "the man who makes some of South Africa's finest wines". We reckon this spectacular blend definitely lives up to the hype.
- Cabernet Franc is Bruwer's signature grape (he bagged 5 stars in the Platter Wine Guide 2014 for his Family Cab Franc) - this time he's combined it with a mouth-watering Malbec...
- The results are pretty darn magical. This is a stonking red with bags of juicy black fruit, gorgeous concentration and a seriously elegant and pure finish.