Rod is our man on the ground in Hawke's Bay and by gosh has he delivered an astonishing tipple.
Boy oh boy.... where do we start? Fresh, juicy, light, and more fruit than you can shake a stick at. Bags of sunshine and the Hawke's Bay altitude give this Pinot Gris some serious attitude.
It's Angel funding that helped to make this wine not only great tasting, but great value for money too. Grab yourself a few bottles before the other Angels get too thirsty!
WE'RE NOT SURE
- Bill and Claudia used your Angel pennies to get their hands on the grapes from some of the very best Sauvignon vineyards in New Zealand... to make a wine that will please even the pickiest of Sauvignon lovers.
- From the first sip, it's an explosion of luscious Marlborough fruit flavour. Fresh grapefruit, zingy gooseberries and juicy, mouth watering pear drops all fuse together to make an exceptional tropical tipple.
- Named after their daughter Sylvia - Sauvignon doesn't get more special than this. Previous vintages won medals galore, and we think that this one is even better... all thanks to Angel funding!
- Mike is a hugely successful winemaker, with more medals and trophies than you can shake a stick at. And when he came to us wanting to make a wine with his own name on it - we nearly snapped his hand off.
- This is New Zealand fruit heaven with a little Loire twist. Punchy, herbacious and packed with gooseberries and lime, all wrapped up with a soft, elegant finish.
- Too many NZ wines focus on style over substance, so imagine how excited we are to give you a wine that's chocka with both - at around half the price. Stunning.
- Mike's Pinot Gris is a belter! Insanely tropical, tongue-tingly and rich... with that super-crisp tropical fruitiness New Zealand is famous for. Sunshine in a bottle.
- With Sauvignon Blanc stealing all the praise for Marlborough, it’s easy to forget that it’s a paradise for other grapes too. Luckily Mike used Angel funding to snaffle a parcel of perfect Pinot Gris from an immaculate vineyard to create an absolute belter of a wine.
- WARNING: This wine is dangerously drinkable... with or without food. Don't say we didn't warn you!
- This wine was a blast to make. Deciding on which varieties to put in the blend, spending time with the grower on how to deal with them differently, when to pick, how to process into wine - so many absorbing forks in the road and I loved every minute. Waipara makes beautiful aromatic wines and I was keen to put a different slant on this.
- Naked have been completely supporting my endeavours to produce interesting and delicious wine from a small and often unknown region. Through the incredible journey that was the crowd funding to help me get off the ground, their continual support and the total enthusiasm they have shown for my wines, I have been able to concentrate on picking, pressing, fermenting and blending these unique wines for Naked and the Angels.
- Beautiful, light and ethereal on the nose with quite a bouquet of lychee, citrus fruits and freshly picked white spring flowers. A fresh and lengthy palate carries the citrus fruits throughout with a hint of fruit sweetness but finishing dry. Great by itself or with light meals.
Dom Maxwell, Winemaker
- This isn’t your everyday Marlborough. Mike's a super-talented Sauvignon God and wields the grape with an elegance and finesse that you can taste in every drop.
- We're talking classic grassy, green, gooseberry laden fruit flavours, with a shock and awe approach to the term 'refreshing' that mainlines a citric buzz to the central nervous system.
- Crab linguine. Bottle of this. Unbelievable
- No winemaking tricks here... armed with your funding, I was able to select the very best damn fruit I've ever seen, harvested in the cool of the night and gently pressed to preserve those classic Sauvignon Blanc characters.
- The result is elegant yet complex. Powerful yet poised. An explosion of ripe tropical fruit including guava, blackcurrant, lime zest and pink grapefruit. All beautifully wrapped in that classic Marlborough zing which makes it so refreshingly drinkable.
- It's a single vineyard Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc sourced from one of the most highly sought after blocks in the region. I reckon it's the best Sauvignon Blanc I've made in my 15 year career. And I've made some crackers!
- Thanks to Angel funding, Bill and Claudia were able to make their first ever Gewurztraminer. It’s their first new variety for a couple of years and there’s only a limited number of them so make sure you snap it up quickly.
They have worked their magic once again, with this wine oozing classic Gewurz flavours and aromas. We’re talking rose petal, spices and a plethora of exotic deliciousness.
It’s full-flavoured, beautifully balanced with a slightly off-dry finish and they hope you love drinking it as much as they loved making it!
- The 2017 Dunnolly Estate Reserve Chardonnay is so special. The wine has been elevated to the next level!
- The nose is a delicate balance of white nectarines & citrus peel, there is an enticing creaminess and warmth coming from the new French Barriques. On the first sip, the palate flourishes showing the natural acid length and a rich encompassing mouthfeel.
- Our style of Chardonnay is designed to be subtle. Gentle flavours of apricot & citrus and balanced with a delicate acidity. With the vintage being on the cooler side I needed to ensure that there was still this generosity, without detracting from our signature wine style and pronounced femininity.
- I made this wine with the Angels in mind. I wanted to bring a sense of luxury that unfortunately our summer didn’t provide!
Nicky Parish, Winemaker
- Naked were extremely open to me pushing the boundaries with Sauvignon Blanc. They encouraged me to challenge the norm, and break all the rules.
- I absolutely love the versatility of Sauvignon Blanc. When the fruit is good enough, it's a real treat to allow some juice to ferment in premium oak. This takes the Sauvignon Blanc to a whole other level.
- I’m really thrilled with the result. Make sure you take the time to decant and let those oaky flavours integrate. The critics agree – it just picked up a Gold medal and 3 trophies including Best Sauvignon Blanc at the prestigious IWC awards!
Liam McElhinney, Winemaker