- Sam spent years making his name as the bona fide superstar of Aussie Shiraz, winning heaps of prestigious medals and the Best Shiraz in Australia trophy in the process.
- Thanks to Angel funding, he’s now running a shiny winery of his own. And stunning gems like this Reserve Shiraz are his way of saying thank you!
- Deliciously juicy, spicy and smooth, it’s made using the very best grapes he could get his rock–star hands on.
WE'RE NOT SURE
- We are whipping out the big guns and that starts with this show stopping Top Shelf Cabernet Merlot from Stuart Pym.
- The nose is rich and complex with fresh fruit impacts of lifted red and blue berries, damask plum and hints of cassis. This is all floating with subtle cedary notes from the French Oak.
- A rich lush wine of profound generosity, yet a retained sense of elegance with every sip. Mulberries, plums and blackberries enchant with every sip. The Merlot creates a perfect wine to drink now and combined with the Cabernet Sauvignon packs in tannins making it perfect to lay down for a few years too (if you can resist).
- I source the fruit for my Diamond Shiraz from the oldest vines I can get my hands on. They're nearly 40 years old and consistently produce concentrated flavours, good colour and a lovely fullness to the wines. I give it all the love and care in the world in the winery, fermenting each parcel of fruit separately before maturing in French and American oak barrels for 15 months.
- Shiraz is my all time favourite variety, and my Diamond range are the pick of the bunch.... so it goes without saying that I give my winemaking all to this wine to make sure it over delivers on flavour and richness - thank you Angels for giving me the freedom to make this for you!
- My Diamond Shiraz 2017 has a beautiful dark purple-red colour, with rich and powerful aromas of dark berries, toasty oak and warming spices. The flavours are equally rich, with round and generous dark fruit, long complex oak characters and a delicious lingering finish.
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- The grapes for my Diamond Cabernet Sauvignon come from the very best vineyards in Heathcote, Rutherglen and the King Valley. I make sure each grape receives the Rolls Royce treatment in the winery, where each parcel of fruit is handled separately, before maturing in top quality French oak barrels for 14 months.
- My Diamond Cab Sauv is probably my most popular wine, with last year's vintage selling out in record time. I really appreciate all your support, without Angels, I wouldn't be able to do what I love - making wines for you to enjoy!
- This is a big bold red wine. The colour is dark, deep and brooding. It's so powerful and elegant and full of those lovely Cab fruit characters, but such long, fine tannins on the finish - it has me reaching for another glass, and another!
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- I love drinking SGM and adore the challenge of blending these varieties to achieve a balanced, elegant, and perhaps most of all, intriguing wine.
- Angel votes and funding made it possible for me to source some exceptional parcels of Shiraz, Grenache and Mourvèdre from my old stomping ground in McLaren Vale.
- This is a beautifully silky SGM, with both fruit power yet so much elegance and restraint. Bright red fruits weave seamlessly with hints of spice, with a smooth texture that carries over the palate and has a long fresh finish.
Nina Stocker, Winemaker
This is a very special blend to Jen. Made from the best vineyards in Rutherglen and Northern Victoria. Combining intensley fruity Durif with rich and robust Shiraz. All made possible with funding from The Crush vote, and something that she probably won't have the opportuntiy to do again. This is a once in a lifetime wine!
She has pulled out all the stops in the winery for this beauty. Treated gently at first to encourage bright fruit and silky tannins, then given time in posh oak barrels to give plushness depsite it's power.
This wine is so deep, dark and intense that you simply can't see through it!! Buckets of plummy fruit and dark chocolate coupled with ripe berries and warm spice leave you gasping for more.
- I've sourced the grapes for this wine from a single patch of dry-grown Shiraz from the White Hut District of the Clare Valley. Once the grapes have been pressed I ferment part of the juice in oak and then mature for an extra 3 months to increase the complexity and depth of the wine.
- My Clare Valley Shiraz has wonderful hints of violet and white pepper, which combine with the cedar oak to give the wine length and persistense.
- The last vintage of my Clare Valley Shiraz was insanely popular over in Australia, and I'm excited to see how Angels in the UK enjoy it.
Adam Barton, Winemaker
- Rutherglen is regarded as Durif's home in Australia, as its warm and dry summer and autumn conditions make it the perfect place to grow Durif. My Diamond Durif is a blend from two different low-yielding vineyards in Rutherglen, on opposing sides of town (east and west). When it arrives at the winery 20% of one parcel finishes its fermentation in brand new oak barrels while the rest of the wine completes its ferment on skins, before everything is matured in French and American oak barrels for 18 months.
- My Diamond range are favourites with the Angels, and my Diamond Durif comes with a warning - this is a BIG red! Make sure you're sitting down for your first sip... it may just knock you off your feet :) I have only been making this variety for a few years, and I really love working with this Rutherglen beauty - you'll struggle to find a better Durif at this price!
- My Durif has an impenetrable, dark and inky purple colour. The aromas are full of black berries and blood plums, with dark chocolate and a hint of vanilla too. The flavours are just as big, bold and beautiful, with rich and ripe flavours and lots of tannin to give length and power on the finish.
Jen Pfeiffer, Winemaker
- Nina is always in and out of some great cellars and when she stumbled upon this seriously delicious drop she just had to snap it up for you Angels.
- This Shiraz is bouncy. So full of life, packed with juicy fruit, and plush. Just a hint of spice beneath the vibrant red fruits.
- Have it with a barbeque, or on its own with friends… and see if you can say the tongue twister after a bottle...